Dorico 3 Crashes when edit pitch bend data

Thank you very much for both of your kind answers. Paul, how do I kill the VSTAudioEngine process after force quitting Dorico?

Here’s a screen recording of everything I described (see below). I can positively confirm it happens each and every time I try it. I’ll describe the steps.

1. Open a file.
  2. Look for a pitch bend modification.
  3. Click on a node of the control lane.
  4. Dorico crashes immediately. (This is Crash A)
  5. Open the file again. This time, the playback button is grayed out, and it’s impossible to play sounds.
  6. Look for the exact same pitch bend modification.
  7. Click the exact same node that caused Crash A.
  8. This time, no crash. Everything seems normal. I can modify the node with no problem.
  9. I try to save the file (for the new modifications).
  10. Dorico freezes.
  11. I force quit Dorico.
  12. Open the file again. This time, playback is back to normal. No problems.
  13. Look for the exact same pitch bend modification.
  14. Click the exact same node that caused Crash A, but worked normally before freezing.
  15. Dorico crashes immediately. (This is Crash B)
    [From here, I could repeat steps 5 to 15 indefinitely; it’s always the same]
    In order to break the cycle, this time…
  16. I open Dorico (without opening the file).
  17. When the quick start screen appears, I quit normally Dorico.
  18. I open the initial file again.
  19. Everything works just fine. Playback is good.
  20. Look for the exact same pitch bend modification.
  21. Click the exact same node that caused Crash A and Crash B.
  22. NO crash. Everything seems normal. I can modify the node without a problem.
  23. I save the file (for the new modifications). It saves perfectly. No freezing, no crashing.
  24. I can keep working as if there was no problem; I can modify pitch bend anywhere, in any instrument… until Dorico decides it’s time to begin again.

Sorry, I can’t find a way of attaching the screen recording because of file size; I’ve downgraded it to 480p, but it’s still 49+ MB. Here’s the DB link to access both the screen recording and the Dorico file I used: Dropbox - Crash example - Simplify your life

Thank you for taking the time to record those steps. I still can’t get the crash myself with your file and the steps you describe, but I’ve asked our testing team to see if they can reproduce it.

I haven’t tried pitch bend yet but I have noticed that it’s tricky to create a single controller lane edit point at the beginning of the score. The point is so small that it’s not easy to select but if you do, Dorico sometimes quits. Most crashes have occurred with the first point. This has happened in all test projects (in other words using different libraries including Halion) created from scratch but I can’t reproduce it at will. As it it seems this may now be a recognised issue, I’ll install the registry key and send the dump the next time it happens. At any rate, it clearly not just restricted to pitch bend

One bit of good news - Richard has looked at this and could reproduce the crash in the latest release, but can’t reproduce it in our current build, so it will be fixed for the next update.

Yey! Thank you guys, so much. That’s great news!

that’s most encouraging!

After trying some time, I manage to reproduce my crash by clicking on the first CC105 edit which is right at the beginning of the score. It’s pretty well standard procedure with NotePeformer to set the correct vibrato level in this way at the outset though it is not NP or CC105 or project specific. It should be noticed that this initial edit point at 1.1.1 is often hard to see to the extent of invisibility. Here is the diagnostic. It would be good to know if my issue is essentially the same as the others which seems likely — if it can be reproduced in the latest release but not in the current build then it’s almost certain

Incidentally, I have been unable to reproduce musicplay’s original pitch bend problem, despite trying for some time.

PS my Diagnostics file is 52Mb and the forum refuses to send it, saying it’s too large. Will tech Support accept larger attachments or can I simply send the latest and relevant dump Dorico3.exe.5612.dmp together with the text files.

There’s no need to send the diagnostics if the crash is related to dragging points in the automation lanes around, since the problem is now fixed.

My problem is not so much dragging the points around but more in selecting the initial one but I agree it’s probably the same issue —fine, will leave it at that then and look forward to the next update!

On the Time Track, selecting an event can also cause instant Dorico exit. Is this also covered by the fix for the automation lanes?

We imagine so, yes, though we can’t be 100% sure.

ok, thanks