Dorico 3 hang up

Another day without problems after removal of Vienna plugins.

More on DORICO 3 hanging up…

I’ve finished my piece of music and I wanted to slightly master it, so I’ve moved back the VSL plug-ins (only the VSL, not the Vienna ones) to their VST and VST3 folder. I’ve restarted my Mac and launched the eLicenser Control Center (after updating it to the very last version) for a check.

I started DORICO 3 but the VSL plug-ins were not available, so I’ve done my mastering using the demo version of Sugar I had previously installed to give it a try. Fine until I quit DORICO… it closes the project and hung up until I forced it to quit.

Hello all,

I’ve read to update the eLicense program on Twitter, and I’ve done it. But I still have non-systematic hang ups when I start playing my piece. I thank you for the autosave feature that most often (but not always) allows me to recover saved work, but nevertheless the hang ups are still annoying and make Dorico 3 being perceived as fragile.

Do you have any news on the topic?

Claudio

We have a fix for the VSL related crash, but that is a fix within Dorico and will become public with the next Dorico update.

thank you

Any news on this problem? I’ve updated to 3.0.10 but I still have continuous hang ups. Could it be related to a Time Machine running in background (even if the problem didn’t appear in DORICO 2)?

No, you have to wait until the next Dorico update, but we have no schedule for that, yet.

Could you post another diagnostic report? I could check if there are new crash reports that we have not seen before.

Of course…
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (579 KB)

Thanks. There are no crash dumps contained in the diagnostic report. That’s good, so for at least one week you did not have any crashes anymore.
The hang ups you experienced are then not actual crashes. Difficult to say if it is just lengthy operations that eventually will succeed or a genuine dead lock, i.e. an infinite loop.

If you experience that again, you could provide us with a spin dump. Therefore, open Activity Monitor and at the top of the window is a little cog wheel. Click on that and choose ‘Sample processes’ (I think; at the moment I don’t have a Mac at hand.) Save the output, zip it up and attach here with a description of what you were doing at the time. Thanks.

I will do.

Another thing: I’ve noticed that the hang ups probability increases when contemporarily to DORICO 3, Time Machine is performing its hourly backup.

Here the sample dump.

I was playing (started with “P”) the last changes (not saved yet) of my piece (I’ve noticed that when hang ups happen DORICO was always playing and the last song’s changes were not saved).
Sample of Dorico.txt.zip (27.2 KB)

In this case it would be also good if you could post another diagnostic report. Thanks

Here another hangup. Sample dumps and diagnostic report attached.
Sample of Dorico.txt.zip (22.3 KB)
Sample of VST Audio Engine.txt.zip (26.1 KB)
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1010 KB)

Thanks for the data. The samples I need to symbolize when back tomorrow to the office.
The audio engine log however looks interesting. There are 4 audio plug-ins that cannot be loaded, one of them is VSL Multiband.
Could the hang have something to do with a licensing issue or some alert window waiting in the background for a prompt?

The audio engine log however looks interesting. There are 4 audio plug-ins that cannot be loaded, one of them is VSL Multiband.
Could the hang have something to do with a licensing issue or some alert window waiting in the background for a prompt?

I can open open VSL Multiband in other VST programs (e.g. NOTION) without any problem. I’ve added it to the DORICO’s white list and then I can open it without any problems. No my last hangout (before changing the white list) I’ve looked and there is no alert window waiting in the background.

Another thing that I noticed is the following: If i remember to save before playing I have no hang ups. But if I forget to save, then soon or later an hang up happens.

I was unplanned absent from the office today, so had no chance to look at the spin dumps in detail, yet. Will do asap…

So finally I had a look and the sample shows that Dorico is waiting for an answer from the audio engine that never comes. The most interesting part is, that Dorico is waiting, because it is handling a MIDI Input Device change message. That means, some change in the MIDI device setup got detected. Did you actively do something in that regards, plugging in or out a MIDI device?

Thank you for your finding.
I actually have a small XKey having the micro-USB cable the was badly inserted. After fixing it I was able to have a full session of work (more than an hour) without hang ups.
Being that I’m not using it very often, preferring the computer keyboard to this small MIDI one for inputting notes, I’ve now disabled MIDI input in DORICO, and I’ll see in the next few days what happen.

Good, that clarifies things. But then we should also look from our side what exactly is happening on plugging MIDI devices that it might lock up the program.