Dorico 3 incorrectly replacing fonts in Dorico 2.2 score

That used to be true. In High Sierra and Mojave, that is no longer something you can assume.

Always reboot after a software install.

I’d be interested to know the mechanism for that.

Having this font problem as well when opening version 2.2 scores in Dorico 3. It says it cannot find at the correct fonts, but it is installed. However, in the menu it is named differently, maybe that is part of the problem? It is not showing all the styles though.

My understanding is that Dorico (or at least Dorico 2) is capable of rendering non-existent variants of installed fonts. If you give it a font, it will make a best guess at an Italic version and a Bold version. These tend to save fine and even print fine, but in PDF export everything goes horribly wrong (because if the font doesn’t actually exist, it can’t be embedded).

You might want to check Font Book to see if Iowan Regular is actually installed, rather than invented by Dorico…

Unless I’m very much mistaken, this font is bundled with Dorico natively.

Not with Dorico but with Mac OS, I think.

I think you are “very much mistaken”. It’s a system font supplied with MacOS, and used as a default font in Apple iBooks, but it’s not included in Windows or Dorico.

Ok. All I knew was I didn’t purchase or install it and it’s on my home and work computer (which I didn’t purchase). In fact, it doesn’t even show up in my font book on my home computer which is odd.

I have a similar problem with three of my own-created fonts. They are installed but Dorico 3 pops up a window that asks for their substitution… If I click OK without setting the substitution, the fonts looks correctly but this window appears each time I open the file…

You can disable the warning if you like. There’s an option for it on the Files page of Preferences.

Thank you Daniel, and congratulations for this new version, you all have made a great job!

Not sure if this was reported elsewhere, but I think I solved the problem, or at least my font substitution problem anyway. Edit/Preferences/General/Default Text Font Family is a setting that saves with the program, not with a specific file. Dorico 3 doesn’t correctly transfer this setting from Dorico 2 upon install, so it is set back to the factory setting of Academico. When opening an older file Dorico 3 is using this setting of Academico for Font Styles/Default Text Font even if you had changed this setting in the file in Dorico 2. Oddly, once I’ve changed this setting in Edit/Preferences I can no longer reproduce this bug even if I change it back to Academico. I guess the key is to change it once after install, and then all the fonts seem to open normally from then on. Not sure if this will solve the OPs problem, but it fixed mine anyway.

That’s a very good observation, Todd, and certainly could play a part in what is going on. There’s a bug in the migration step that brings the preferences from the previous version forward, resulting in them getting stomped on during first run. We’ll fix that bug, but it would definitely be worth other users on this thread checking that if they set their ‘Default text font’ manually back to what it was in Dorico 2, whether the other problems with warning about missing fonts are resolved.