Dorico 3 Startup Issues

Hello,

At the moment I am having trouble opening Dorico 3 on my Mac - during the startup up phase it usually gets stuck at one of the stages relating to the audio engine and then crashes.

Hope you can help!

Thanks,
Ben

You will need to upload a diagnostics report before they can help you. Once you have a successful start, immediately go to the help menu and use the command there. It will save to your desktop, and then you can upload it here.

Unfortunately I am unable to do anything that would require me to open the software at the moment, as it sticks on the startup window.

Welcome to the forum @benjaminmaloney.

Unfortunately Romanos advice is good meant, but does not help you, because you can’t even get to that menu item, because it gets stuck way before.
But you can do other things :
Have a look in the root of your hard drive at the folder /Library /Audio/Plug-Ins, there are 2 subfolders VST and VST3. Please rename them temporarily to something else. The same do with the folder /Library/Application Support /Steinberg/Components.
Then make sure via the Activity Monitor app, that there is no more VSTAudioEngine process running anymore. When you then start up Dorico again, what does happen?

Thanks for this Ulf,

It’s now getting stuck at ‘Launched audio engine’ instead of waiting for connection, but still then crashes/won’t open.

Give me some time and I will send you a script to execute… Please wait

Hi @benjaminmaloney, attached is a script which shall create a diagnostics report and put it in your Documents folder. So after unzipping, please double click and then upload the corresponding zip file. From that I can give further advice. Thank you
CreateDorico35DiagnosticsReport(1).zip (545 Bytes)

Many thanks for your help Ulf,

The unzipped file displays as a SHELL file which doesn’t seem to be supported as an upload on here; have I missed something? Here is the text that shows when I open the file, anyway:

#!/bin/zsh

echo “Zipping up Dorico/VSTAudioEngine folders…\n”

exec 3>&1 >/dev/null
exec 2>&1 >/dev/null

rm -fr ~/Desktop/DoricoDiagnosticsReport.zip
rm -fr /tmp/DoricoDiagnosticsReport
mkdir -p /tmp/DoricoDiagnosticsReport
mkdir -p /tmp/DoricoDiagnosticsReport/Crashes

cp -r ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steinberg/Dorico\ 3.5 /tmp/DoricoDiagnosticsReport
cp -r ~/Library/Preferences/Dorico\ 3.5\ AudioEngine /tmp/DoricoDiagnosticsReport/VSTAudioEngine

cp ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Dorico*.* /tmp/DoricoDiagnosticsReport/Crashes
cp ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/VSTAudioEngine*.* /tmp/DoricoDiagnosticsReport/Crashes
cp ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Steinberg\ Activation\ Manager*.* /tmp/DoricoDiagnosticsReport/Crashes

rm -fr /tmp/DoricoDiagnosticsReport/Dorico\ 3.5/AutoSave
rm -fr /tmp/DoricoDiagnosticsReport/Dorico\ 3.5/PlaybackTemplateSpecs

cd /tmp
zip -r ~/Desktop/DoricoDiagnosticsReport.zip ./DoricoDiagnosticsReport
exec >&3
exec >&1

echo “Done, wrote Dorico3.5DiagnosticsReport.zip to your Desktop”

That is the file that Ulf needs. It should be on your Desktop.

Hi @benjaminmaloney , as Janus says, that shell script is supposed to spit out the file Dorico3.5DiagnosticsReport.zip to your Desktop. Is it there?

If not, do you know how to use the Terminal.app?

Benjamin, open the Terminal (via Spotlight, you can just type terminal and hit Return) and then drag the unzipped shell file onto the Terminal window, and hit Return. That should execute the script, and produce a file called Dorico3.5DiagnosticsReport.zip on your desktop. Attach that file here.

Thanks all,

When I try this through Terminal it says ‘Permission denied’ after trying to export the file to desktop. That might explain why it didn’t churn it out automatically. Any ideas how I get around that?

Open the Terminal app, then type sudo followed by a space and then drag the shell file into the window and hit return. That should prompt for your password and then execute.

Thank you Ulf.
Hmm … it comes up with the password prompt but when I type it and hit return, I get: ‘command not found’.

What OS version do you have?

And what if you edit the script and change the first line from zsh to sh or csh, does it give the same error?

Or another idea : In the Terminal window type just su and hit return. Does that prompt you for the password? If so, type it in and then drag the script file and hit return. Does that get any better?

Thanks Ulf,
Apologies that this is proving so complicated. I’m running macOS Monterey 12.6.1
I worked out that sudo su prompts me for the password, which I fill out, but then when I try to run the file I still get ‘permission denied’. I tried changing the shell to the others but it hasn’t done anything :expressionless:

No worries, eventually we’ll get there.
So instead of executing the whole script in one go, you can also copy and paste line by line into the Terminal window. And for each line press enter.
But actually not every line, only the following ones are necessary:

mkdir -p /tmp/DoricoDiagnosticsReport
mkdir -p /tmp/DoricoDiagnosticsReport/Crashes

cp -r ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steinberg/Dorico\ 3.5 /tmp/DoricoDiagnosticsReport
cp -r ~/Library/Preferences/Dorico\ 3.5\ AudioEngine /tmp/DoricoDiagnosticsReport/VSTAudioEngine

cp ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Dorico*.* /tmp/DoricoDiagnosticsReport/Crashes
cp ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/VSTAudioEngine*.* /tmp/DoricoDiagnosticsReport/Crashes

rm -fr /tmp/DoricoDiagnosticsReport/Dorico\ 3.5/AutoSave
rm -fr /tmp/DoricoDiagnosticsReport/Dorico\ 3.5/PlaybackTemplateSpecs

cd /tmp
zip -r ~/Desktop/DoricoDiagnosticsReport.zip ./DoricoDiagnosticsReport

So copy one line and paste into the Terminal, press enter, then next line and so on.
At the end on your Desktop hopefully the file DoricoDiagnosticsReport. zip is there

Well, the OP said “usually,” not “always” so I presumed that dorico did boot correctly after multiple attempts.

No worries, Romanos, it was no criticism. Your input is of course wanted and appreciated.

1 Like