Dorico 4.0.1 is much slower than 3.5

As I continue to work on a project in 4.0.1 it seems like it just keeps getting slower. To the point where just typing text takes seconds for the input to register for each letter. Even simple acts like zooming in and out is extremely delayed. I opened the project in 3.5 and there is no such lag happening. I know it’s not the midi feedback loop issue that some have had. Any idea on how to fix the sluggishness?

sampleproject.dorico (1.9 MB)

The project seems fine here. Scrolling, and adding text is responsive. I even turned on Condensing! Can you list some hardware specs, including monitor size?

The only non-standard font you’re using seems to be MusGlyphs. I’m sure it’s fine, but just to rule it out, are things any better when that font is disabled?

Thanks for taking a look. My setup is:
i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40 GHz, 4 Cores
32 GB ram
GTX 1060 gpu
I have dual monitors but the one I use Dorico on is 27" 1920x1080

No difference when I disable MusGlyphs.

Welcome to the forum, Paul. Are you by any chance using Google Drive on your PC? If so, if you disable it, does that improve matters?

Hi Daniel, thank you. If by disable it you mean stop the auto syncing, then yes. Still having the lagging isuue.

Sorry, Paul, I’m not clear: does disabling Google Drive’s syncing make any difference to the performance of Dorico on your computer, or not?

It does not make a difference.

We’ll need to get a trace. Could you please open the same project in Dorico 3.5 and in Dorico 4, as you show in your video above, and do the same actions in both applications, then without quitting the application, do Help > Create Diagnostic Report and upload both zip files here. That will include a trace file from each application that we can examine, and hopefully it will show us something about where the difference is.

Ok, I’m not at my home computer right now. Will upload once I’m able, thank you.

@dspreadbury here are the diagnostic reports. I will say, when I first opened Dorico4, it seemed to work fine, then after a few minutes it began to run slowly again. I closed it then reopened and it continued to run slowly. I took the diagnostic after that second time opening it, matching the actions I did in 3.5 diagnostic.
Dorico3 Diagnostics.zip (434.6 KB)
Dorico4 Diagnostics.zip (647.7 KB)

Thanks, Paul. I’ll ask the team to look into this and will come back to you when I can.

Thanks for those traces. We can see some operations that are clearly slower in Dorico 4 than they were in Dorico 3.5. Would you be so kind as to repeat the exercise, but generating an even more detailed trace from both Dorico 3.5 and Dorico 4 so we can get a deeper look at what’s happening on your computer?

We’d like you to use a free tool called UIforETW. Please follow the steps here to download and install UIforETW:

Run Dorico and open your project, then start recording the trace in UIforETW, then do the same operations you did in your last set of diagnostics. Please do this for both Dorico 3.5 and Dorico 4, as before.

Please zip up the traces and send them over to me (if they’re too big to attach here, please email them to d dot spreadbury at steinberg dot de), and we’ll look more closely at them.