Dorico 4.2 Playback hell

I just want to hear playback without diving into all of the intricate settings and re-settings.
This is very frustrating.
I just want things to work simply and easily, so i can focus on writing music.
Is there some way to just select a simple option - the play window is overburdened with options and is very counter-intuitive…

Typically Dorico will give you playback without any fiddling around, either by hitting Space, P or the Play icon at the top of the screen.

If it doesn’t,

1. Go Edit > Device Setup, ensure a logical playback device is selected, apply and close. Then try again. If that doesn’t work,
  2. Go Play > Playback Template…, select the HSO/HSE template that corresponds to your Dorico flavour (e.g. the one labelled Elements if you’re running Dorico Elements), Apply and Close. Then try playback again.

There are all sorts of things that could be wrong with your setup. It may be that you haven’t installed the sound content. It may be that your computer’s volume is turned down. It may be that you’re attempting to use some Bluetooth sound device that has an incompatible sample rate. (Etc.)
Unfortunately it’s impossible to know quite what’s wrong from your original post.

2 Likes

Thanks pianoleo - finallysomething that worked right away - choosing the playback template worked instantly!