Dorico 4.3.31 - No sound when switching instrument or entering write mode

Hi,

I recently purchased an Arturia Keylab 88 MKII for my main MIDI master controller, replacing my old Doepfer LMK4+ which couldn’t handle that glass of juice that my daughter accidentally poured into it. The new controller works perfectly in pretty much all situations, except for Dorico 4.

I have to say that don’t know if this is related to the master controller.

The symptoms are as follows: I load a new default template (eg. the film orchestra template) using the HSSE+HSO (Pro) as the default playback template. After the playback engine has started I don’t initially get any sound, but when I go to Play mode and switch to (any) instrument everything works as expected. Going back to Write mode, selecting a staff, and playback will work around half the time. Some instruments will play fine, I will choose another staff and that doesn’t play. Going back to the staff that worked before and that no longer works. I see no pattern in this at all.

However, one thing is very reproducable (for me): If I double click on a staff to start entering notes I get neither sound nor any midi input!

I have selected my MIDI Controller under MIDI Input Devices. I have checked with MIDI-OX that the Arturia does emmit MIDI. Unfortunately I can’t run MIDI-OX and Dorico at the same time because the Arturia Keylab seems to be exlusively connected to a single application at a time, which may or may not be one of the reasons why I’m having these problems (there are no other applications open when I experience the issues described above).

I have spent a bunch of hours in Dorico and everything has worked perfectly up until today which was the first time I’ve used it since I got my KeyLab.

The KeyLab is connected (and powered) via USB.

Can someone try to help me? I’d be happy to provide more information.

Thanks in advance,
Thomas.

Have you tried unplugging the Keylab and testing your functions again?

Thanks for your reply. And yes! Also restarted the PC. I’m on Windows 11, by the way. Should have mentioned my specs:

Windows11.
RME FireFace800
Intel Core i9 10850K
64GB RAM

Have you tried unplugging the Keylab and testing your functions again?

I just realized what you meant, I think! Inputting notes with the mouse works as expected. Sounds are playing, so this means that the keyboard is the culprit!

But why? MIDI works great in all other applications where I use it (Cubase primarily).

When you’re pressing keys on the Keylab during note input (where nothing happens), is there a green dot that illuminates when you press the keys?

When you’re pressing keys on the Keylab during note input (where nothing happens), is there a green dot that illuminates when you press the keys?

Where should I look? Sound or no sound, I don’t see any green dots illuminating anywhere, in either Write mode, Play mode or on the Keylab. :smiley:

See #10

See #10

No green dot! :open_mouth:

Not even when the sound is actually playing! I am honestly quite confused!

The green dot on the bottom right of the Dorico window is only supposed to blink when Dorico receives MIDI data from external.

If you go in the Dorico Preferences to the Play tab, scroll down to the Recording section and tick the Filter out MIDI controllers option, does that change something?

If you go in the Dorico Preferences to the Play tab, scroll down to the Recording section and tick the Filter out MIDI controllers option, does that change something?

Ulf, THANK YOU!! Although that particular setting didn’t change anything, it turned my focus to “Enable MIDI Input” which, for some reason, wasn’t checked!! I am flabbergasted - I am 99% certain that I did not uncheck this. I mean, why should I? I never have and probably never will, be working without MIDI input.

Anyway, thank you both for your help. Seems like everything is working as expected again. :heart:

Thomas.

Excellent, good to hear that it is working again.

1 Like