Dorico 4.3 keeps crashing

I would recommend using EtreCheck, which is an app that generates a detailed report about the state of your OS, installed software and disk.

It shows you what third-party software has been installed that might be causing a problem, e.g. things like Audio Drivers, or other ‘non-app’ software. You can post the report here, as there’s no identifying or personal info included.

Other tests you can do to pinpoint the problem include booting into Safe Mode, or testing in a brand new user account; to see if the problem persists or not under those conditions.

Alternatively, it might be simplest just to erase your data and start again from a clean disk. Then be careful about what you restore!

Note that you don’'t need to wipe the whole disk anymore: the OS is on a separate, read-only volume.

1 Like

Hi @benwiggy thank you for the tips! I will probably erase my Mac. Here’s my EtreCheck report, don’t know what to change based on that. I don’t have the automatic updates, because I don’t want to update the operating system. And my Time Machine backup is on an external SSD.

If you see anything suspicious or have other tips, thank you in advance!

Etre_Jarkko - iMac 2023-01-13.pdf (73.0 KB)

Wow. You’ve got so much stuff hooked into your OS. Is it all a) necessary and b) up-to-date?

Disk utilities by third-party vendors like Western Digital, Samsung, are notorious for being really badly written on macOS and more trouble than they are worth.

AppCleaner. Generally, I recommend avoiding any app that claims to ‘clean’ your Mac.

Suuntolink? All that, for a watch? Cause there’s loads of it, and it was installed in 2020.

Spartan modem? PPPmonitor?

You don’t need to answer my questions, but just ask yourself if you need all these LaunchAgents, Daemons, kernel extensions, etc, etc… (NPAPI Internet plug-ins are deprecated!) The more you have, the more likely a problem is.

Are you using the Duet Apogee AND UAD2?

Also, the “Clean-up” section suggests you’ve got some stuff that is missing, which other stuff is looking for.

Etrecheck also suggests you’ve got loads of 32-bit apps that don’t work on Monterey.

Finally: there’s no reason to disable security updates.

1 Like

One more thing: You first posted about problem in November. You installed Rogue Amoeba’s loopback on 1st November. Coincidence?

1 Like

I think coincidence, this has happening for a year.

@benwiggy

First of all THANK YOU for taking your time!

Ouch…I will check all of this!

1 Like

@Ulf @dspreadbury

Unfortunately another crash after erasing the HD and reinstalling everything. Do these files give a hint?
Activation Manager.zip (105.3 KB)
AudioEngine.zip (248.4 KB)
Crashes.zip (17.8 KB)
Dorico.zip (700.3 KB)

It looks like the same problem, I’m afraid: Dorico is responding to a notification that a MIDI device has spontaneously appeared, and is crashing. This suggests to me that you still have some kind of instability in the connection between your MIDI device(s) and your Mac.

Are your MIDI devices powered over USB? If so, you might want to consider a dedicated power supply for them, in case there are some problems with the voltages delivered over USB to your MIDI devices. It would be worth checking your USB cables as well.

Hi all,

after another crash I found this crash report. Could it be possible that Avid Link is the reason? It launches automatically (which is really annoying), but I found a script that prevents that.
iMac crash 2023-04-06 Avid Link.pdf (217.7 KB)

Hi @JarkkoR, very unlikely that the avid program brings us down. Are there no crash files from Dorico or its audio engine?

Dear Ulf,

here the Dorico crash files.
Crashes.zip (5.6 KB)

Many thanks, but although these files turn up in the Crashes folders, they are actually no crash files. They are just diagnosis file like a spin dump. That means Dorico does not go down, but might be just slow to respond. Are you sure that Dorico really went down?

I don’t have the expertise to answer that 100% correctly…the computer crashes, but only when using Dorico.

What, the whole computer went down? In that case, yes, it is possible that the Avid program caused this.

That’s what I thought. Or in other words I’m happy with any explanation:) But I cannot interprete the iMac crash file, that’s why I posted it here as well, maybe someone understands it.

You better send it to Avid. Only really they can make sense of it, because they have the source code and the debug symbols.

1 Like

Thanks Ulf, will do.

@Ulf @dspreadbury

The problem keeps coming back. Slowly losing my mind here, this has been going on for almost two years. So I can only list all of the facts, I would be so, so thankful if someone could suggest what I could be dealing with.

Today (as always) the iMac restarted when using Dorico (5.6.10.1111). What happens is that Dorico freezes and there comes a loud cracking sound from the speakers. It used to be a long and super loud ang high beep, now it is just a “zip”. It never happened, not even once, with another program. I use also Cubase, Logic and Sibelius - never a crash.

On my console there is no crash report.

Since the last time I started the iMac from scratch, running on Monterey. I’ve tried different keyboards, no change.

Another thing:

Whenever I work on a score with multiple instruments Dorico always changes the “writing” sound to the sound of the highest staff, whatever instrument that is. Even if a piano staff is activated, the sound changes to flute - very often midfrase. There is an own thread on this, no solution: Dorico changing sound in write mode Maybe this gives another hint…?

I would again be ENORMOUSLY thankful if someone spotted the cause(s) for this/these problem(s)!

Jarkko_crashes_2023-09-15.zip (7.9 KB)

To clarify: by starting the iMac I meant I nuked it from orbit.

Hi @JarkkoR , I’m sorry about your situation, but I think there is few or nearly nothing that we can do about.
I see no reason why only Dorico would bring your Mac down in such a way, and no other app does.
But let me ask again: Do you use Built-in Audio or an external audio interface? If the latter what is it?
Can you change to some other audio interface and see if it also happens with that one?

And your crashes zip does not contain crash dumps, just 3 diag tools which get generated when the process is held up by something for too long time, but no crash files. So it really is difficult to say…

1 Like