Dorico 4.3: Staccato playback stopped working for some playback templates

I use NotePerformer as my default playback template and since the update to 4.3, I’ve noticed that the playback no longer responds to notated staccato articulations. It’s supposed to shorten the note length by 50%, but adding staccato markings has no effect on playback note length whatsoever.

I’ve checked the other factory playback templates, and they all respond as expected to staccato markings except the HSSE+HSO (Pro) template, which has the same issue as NotePerformer. Curiously, both of the affected templates reduce note length by 50% when adding the staccato tenuto articulation.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any thoughts on how to solve it? I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling NotePerformer to no avail.

Many thanks in advance!

Karl

1 Like

Hi I’ve noticed the same issue while trying to program an expression map for the Session Horns Pro in Kontakt

Edoardo

Interesting. Have you checked whether there’s a manual override of playback options in your expression map? That could explain issues like these, but that wasn’t the case for me.

It’s possible the note duration may be affected by the new “Maximum duration for staccato playback technique” in Playback Options. This option isn’t supposed to affect the note duration, but it’s possible that that’s what is happening.

1 Like

That’s it! Disabling this option solved the problem. Thank you, Richard!

@dspreadbury This can’t be the way this new option is supposed to work, right? I’ve seen a more recent post about the same issue, so I wanted to bring this to your attention.

Don’t worry, I’m aware, and I’ll look into it. You don’t need to tag me, because I read literally every single thread here on the forum.

3 Likes

Thanks, Daniel!

As playback options is not available in Dorico Elements, is there a workaround for that version? (I thought staccato was a separate “technique” in NotePerformer rather than just a function of note length)

Welcome to the forum, @Sonicwave. If you send me your project, I’ll happily flip that option for you and then send it back to you.

Thanks @dspreadbury; is there a way to send it by private message?

Absolutely. Click on my name, which will pop up a panel with some info about me. Then click the big blue Message button that you’ll see in there.

Seems like my account wasn’t old enough, but after scrolling through more posts I see the option now.