Dorico 4.3 Zooming Tool improvement request

Hello Dorico team,
Thank you for the hard work on version 4.3. It’s really an amazing overall application improvement! :slight_smile:
It’s good to see that previous Zooming Tool was re-designed in a better way. Thank you! :slight_smile:

Here I would like to ask for a small improvement.
Currently the vertical and horizontal zooming tools are placed in two different locations, which isn’t the most logical way.
On the screenshot bellow is the most common practice and logical placement (closer to each other) in the bottom right cornerner:

Probably your logic here follows the idea that the horizontal zooming will be, eventually, used more often with the Velocity, CCs, Pitch Bend and Histogram?! If “Yes”, then you could duplicate the horizontal zooming tool, or create a single combined tool (similar with the previous one, but integrated into the interface as the current ones) and leave it on the current bottom left position. :slight_smile:

Thank you very much once again for the hard job you have done on this release! :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Thurisaz :slight_smile:

Hi Thurisaz,

Thanks for the feedback. I placed the key editor zoom controls to the left of the horizontal scrollbar so that they are not immediately next to the score view zoom controls.

Anthony

Hi @Anthony_at_Steinberg,
Thank you very much for the reply! :slight_smile:
Well, I don’t see any problem if it’s placed above the Score View zoom controls.
Actually this is even better and logical all clickable tools that are doing the same, or similar job, to be placed in the same area of the software.
So, when when almost all zooming tools are placed in the bottom right area of the interface, the user would expect the horizontal zooming tool to be placed there, too.
Navigating to the bottom left only for this single tool isn’t a good idea, because is against the “law” for faster and easier workflow.
The only reason to have the horizontal zooming on the current position is the shorter distance with the Velocity, CC, Tempo, Dynamics… control panel.
But the most common practice is to use both horizontal and vertical zooming in conjunction more often.
You could ask the Cubase and Nuendo teams. In both apps these tools are placed in the bottom right of the UI:

You should keep in mind that many of the Dorico users are using DAWs, too. In every DAW I’m having experience with, the zooming tools are placed as they are in Cubase.
The Score View zooming tools visually differ a lot from the KeyEditor zooming sliders, so they can’t be mistakenly touched.

I hope you would think about it more deeply! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Its small detail, but I do find I largely agree with @Thurisaz comments/thoughts on this one @Anthony_at_Steinberg

The ‘accepted’ or given convention (unwritten) is to have these controls placed as in the screen shots above. It is known that this is the way seen in other similar applications. (I’m particularly talking about the horizontal zoom controls - in both upper and lower zone areas of ‘Play’ mode).

Though of course, anyone entirely new to the joys of a Key Editor inside their notation software - great update BTW - will I’m sure not be troubled/bothered/notice one bit… :wink: So there’s that too I guess.

1 Like

Hi @Puma0382,
Yes, this one is a “small” detail, but costed codding and designing time in order to be implemented.
That’s why everything should very well thought and doesn’t have to break the most common conventions, if it can’t offer something better.

Here is another “small” detail that breaks the “rules” of the visual consistency, presented in the Right Panel > Repeats (the tremolo symbols /in the red zone/ look very bold compared to everything else in this panel) :

I really do hope that @Anthony_at_Steinberg will change his vision about the Tremolo subsection! :slight_smile:
In Dorico 4 they were looking fine and consistent. I can’t understand why he decided to make them bold?! :smiley:

Best wishes,

Atanas, this business with the Repeats panel has been asked and answered already. I’m closing this thread now.