Dorico 4 Crashing

Thanks for those crashes, @earv. I’ve passed them on to the team to see if they have any idea what could be going on there.

Hello all,
also lots of crashing here in v4 and 4.0.10
always when switching modes
reports attached
Apple crash.zip (27.1 KB)
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1.4 MB)

Unfortunately your two crash reports show the same crash that we have seen a number of times but as yet been unable to isolate and fix.

To @earv: Erik, we’ve been looking at your crash logs but they’re not ones we’ve seen before. We’re clutching at straws a bit, but would you be willing to try copying the project you’re working on out of your Dropbox folder and editing it from your local drive so that we can rule out Dropbox’s sync process after you save from causing any problems?

Absolutely. I’ll try that. Come to think of it, I haven’t had any crashes this week. I wonder what changed.

I’ll try to figure it out here on my end. Thanks for your help Daniel.

Also experiencing crashes with copy+pasting text.

They are absolutely repeatable: Every time I work on my score, it crashes after a certain number of copy+paste operations. Even if I open, copy a text box, and paste it a number of times (roughly fifteen) and do nothing else, there is a crash. And because I get a spinning wheel, the menu disappears and I’m unable to generate a log.

I’m running Dorico 4.0.10 on a 2020 M1 MacBookPro. Will keep trying to generate a log if possible. Thanks.

Please do Help > Create Diagnostic Report and attach it here, @EnricoBrahms, so we can take a look and see what’s happening.

Unfortunately I can never create a diagnostic report for this specific issue, as the menu bar disappears once the paste operation fails and the dreaded spinning color wheel appears…

Here is a crash log for a separate issue.
Dorico-crash-22Feb2022.pdf (125.7 KB)

Hi @EnricoBrahms , in that case simply create a diagnostics report immediately the next time you start up Dorico again. Because Dorico keeps the logs of the last couple of runs nothing is lost and we can still have a look.

Hi @Ulf — Here’s a Dorico crash log generated after rebooting. I also managed to get a report (PDF) of the same crash, which occurred after opening a score, copying a short bit of staff text, and pasting it seven times.

Many thanks!

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1.2 MB)
Dorico-crash-Feb23.pdf (2.9 MB)

Thanks for the data.
Since it is directly Dorico related, could you please take a look, @dspreadbury ?

The crashes appear to be the same ones reported by @NorFonts here:

Can you provide again the specific steps that bring about this crash? The issue that you report involving Dorico hanging and showing the pinwheel when you paste certain things, like a text item, we actually fixed yesterday, so that will definitely be taken care of in the next update. But that does typically create a hang, not a crash.

But are you saying that in fact you’re getting a crash after pasting, too? Does it crash right away, or do you get the pinwheel and then Dorico crashes?

1 Like

I have been experiencing multiple crashes on Dorico 4 (using 4.0.31 now), typically when switching mode, but also occasionally when invoking the Jump Bar. Diagnostics attached.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1.2 MB)

Welcome to the forum, @Ygruchives. I’m afraid the diagnostic report you’ve attached doesn’t contain any crash logs. I suspect the crash you have experienced when switching modes in the main window is the one that a number of Mac users have been experiencing, and which unfortunately at the moment we don’t have a handle on how to reproduce or fix. However, I’m interested to know more about the crash you have experienced with the jump bar. If you have any steps that allow you to reproduce that crash, please let me know what they are.

I will let you know if I can reproduce the jump bar crash.

In the meantime, I’ve also experienced erratic behaviour when assigning aliases to commands in the jump bar. I was introducing the wonders of the jump bar to a friend who uses Dorico in German, and at that point I suspected it had something to do with the German localisation, but I’ve also experienced it on my own system (in English): I type and select the command, press =, start typing, and my alias is assigned not to the desired command, but to the first command in the alphabet, Accelerando (three lines). If I try it once more, it will now suggest the next available command, Accelerando (two lines), and so on - except no alias will be assigned, since the desired alias is now assigned to Accelerando (three lines). I can, of course, manually assign aliases in the settings, but it is not as elegant. In the German version, it was of course a different command, but still the first in the alphabet. We are both using the latest Mac version.

I’ve certainly not seen that problem occur. I can imagine that if you are trying to assign an alias to a command that isn’t accessible in the current state, it could get confused – but I assume the command you were trying to assign an alias to was already appearing in the jump bar as an executable command at that point?

Indeed. In this case, I wanted to assign aliases to the Filter Line commands, and I had selected the contents of a flow with lyrics. When I typed the =, the command I’d just selected disappeared. I could then scroll all the way down to the right command, select it, and THEN the alias was correctly assigned. Here’s an example: Dropbox - Jump bar.mov - Simplify your life

First time posting here since my dorico just keeps crashing randomly. Often after just creating a project and just entering few notes. Almost impossible to work like that, had to manually click ‘save’ every few seconds so I don’t lose what I composed. Attached the crash report. Would love to know what’s causing this.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (2.3 MB)

Welcome to the forum, Dave. The first thing to say is that you’re currently still using Dorico 4.0: I would recommend you update to Dorico 4.0.30, which you can do here:

However, the crash you’re experiencing is one that a number of Mac users have been afflicted with recently. Unfortunately as yet we’ve been unable to reproduce the problem in-house and therefore as yet have not been able to fix it. We continue to investigate it, but as yet there is no solution.

Well, I hope it can be fixed soon. Currently it doesn’t make sense for me to continue with Dorico as it just keeps crashing. Changed the auto save to 1 min today so I don’t lose much, but having to restart dorico every 2-3 minutes is just too much. Will have to keep working in sibelius until I see the problem fixed.

1 Like