Dorico 4 Crashing

Dorico DiagnosticsMay15.zip (1.3 MB)

Also, what is the quickest way to get sound working again? I usually open project. No sound (this is even with just your Halion). Sometimes I try to press things in Device Setup, but have to return to original settings. Just to somehow reset. Then I have to quit and restart. Any way to get sound back without having to restart? This is so painful when you have a full orchestra loaded.

I also go into playback template, press halon again (or whatever). Doesn’t work until restart.

When I encounter this problem, it’s because Dorico has crashed but the audio engine has remained running, and when you restart Dorico, it reconnects to the running audio engine, but for whatever reason it doesn’t produce sound. When you then quit Dorico, it tells the audio engine to quit too, and when you next run Dorico, the audio engine is restarted, and everything works again.

So the quickest way back to working sound is to manually quit the VST Audio Engine process in Activity Monitor before you restart Dorico.

1 Like

Okay, will try that!

Thanks for your Sunday replies! I will check to see what you thought about that diagnostic report. There was probably an earlier one in the day, too, but I guess that is lost, right?

No, the diagnostic report will pick up all crash reports from the last two weeks, so I have a bunch of crash reports. As expected, they all show the familiar stack, so your crashes are indeed the same as other users who have experienced this problem. Unfortunately as yet we do not know how to reproduce this crash on demand, and the crash is not in Dorico itself but in the underlying Qt application framework. If we can figure out what triggers the crash we can almost certainly prevent it from happening, even though the crash isn’t in our code, but without steps to reproduce it, we’re unable to do this. We continue to look at it.

So, if you just:

1. Create new project, make it Orchestra
  2. Add some notes to an instrument
  3. Press save
    4 Press Setup mode in short order. Does it crash for you?

If you wait a bit, this does not happen. If Dorico added a delay to having Setup, Play, whatever react to your mouse click after saving, maybe that would fix the problem?

No, it really doesn’t. Even if I sit there repeatedly typing Command-S and simultaneously clicking on different mode buttons as quickly as I can, Dorico survives just fine (though it takes a while to process all of the save commands and mode changes).

So, when I reopened the crashed file after waiting an hour or so, the first thing it did was to ask me if I wanted to activate playback. I know there is a menu item that determines whether playback was activated. However, I don’t know how to easily activate an orchestra if you don’t say yes at that time. If you could set it so that it always asks upon opening a project, and if you say yes, it kills the old instance, maybe that would ensure playback.

You can activate a project for playback later by clicking the power button in the toolbar, just to the left of the bar/beat/tick read-out.

Hi, An update. I saved the apple crash file as well as the Dorico diagnostic. Basically, I added some notes to a symphony. Then, realized I needed a piccolo. Then, when I went to click the Setup button - crashed. Next time I will try Command-S and see if that helps. Have you tried just clicking with the mouse? This is really a slower downer when working on symphonic files, so worth looking into, in my opinion.
Dorico DiagnosticsMay15Evening.zip (1.1 MB)
May15_2022apple.pdf (191.8 KB)

Yes, of course, we’ve tried using the keyboard and the mouse in every combination we can think of. It’s frustrating that the bug appears to affect the users who experience it a great deal, but other users never experience it at all.

Could it be that when you mix VST types it gets worse? I have a new crash file:
one instrument is Halion, the rest BBCSO. When I can get it to stay open, I will delete the Halion instrument, unless you have other suggestions based on the crash report:
Dorico DiagnosticsJanDol.zip (1.7 MB)

Hi @janDol ,
contained in the diagnostics are among many Dorico crash files, two crash files of the audio engine. One is from yesterday, the other one from the day before yesterday and that one is clearly a crash within BBCSO, so nothing to blame Steinberg for.
The one from yesterday on the other hand is a crash within our audio engine. The logs tell me that at that time you went to the Play mode and applied the BBCSO template where upon the crash happened. I will try to reproduce this here on my M1-MacMini.
But overall this is not to blame on HALion. BBCSO is a beast that is know to make trouble. It is resource hungry and takes ages to load. Though I don’t want to discourage you from using it, I’d say be prepared for the unexpected.

In regards to the other crashes you experience in Dorico. Daniel mentioned that we can’t reproduce those crashes. When you have those crashes, do you then also work with BBCSO or exclusively with HALion?

Hello Ulf,
The crashes with HALion were HALion mixed with BBCSO. The reason I went BBCSO is because they have a system all worked out where they provide all of the expression maps, etc., in files. It is so much easier than wrangling with East-West directly or Kontakt, which never seems to look like the examples to me. I have to put path names in there, and I still can’t get my VOX to work. What other symphonic library out there comes with the expression maps and a nice interface - works like BBCSO but doesn’t have the beast qualities? Is there such a thing?
All the best,
JanDol

Dear JanDol,
I admit I am more inclined to use VSL products now than Spitfire’s. I feel their products behave better with Dorico (even without VEPRO) and they have the courtesy to provide working expression maps and playback templates…

Good morning, Dorico 4.1 has been running fine until a couple days ago. Now the app quits unexpectedly every time I open it. I’ve reinstalled it from the application installer but it still shuts down after a couple seconds of loading. What is my next step?

Hello Marc,
Thanks, I will investigate! I am struggling with a decent strings glissando at the moment.
All the best,
JanDol