Dorico 4 does not start on Windows 8.1

Hello. I was seriously doubting whether to post this, because I am using Windows 8.1 and I can read. So I know that my OS is not supported at all. Still, Dorico 3.5 works great on my computer. It can handle it very fine, no complaints only praise : - ) (And according to the system requierments Dorico 2, etc. was not supported either, so I feel very lucky!)

But, of course I would like to try Dorico 4. Unfortunately, it does not start up. I get an error message:
Dorico4.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point GetDpiForWindow could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Dorico4\graphics2d.dll.

I think this because of Windows 8.1, because I haven’t seen anybody on this forum with the same problem. I think I have tried everything (trying, restarting, trying again, installing more components, restarting again, trying again looking for logs, not finding them, etc.)

Does this mean I should give up on Dorico 4? I mean, Dorico 3.5 is already doing great work. However, if you still would like to help me with this problem, I would happily provide the necessary information.

If anyone knows cheats to use this Dorico 4 on an old Windows version: thank you in advance for your help : - D

P.S. Some extra information:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Dorico4.exe
Application Version: 4.0.0.1026
Application Timestamp: 61d5ef6e
Fault Module Name: teinberg\Dorico4\graphics2d.dll!GetDpiForWindow
Fault Module Version: 6.3.9600.20144
Fault Module Timestamp: 615be9b3
Exception Code: c0000139
Exception Offset: 00000000000ed170
OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: ac05
Additional Information 2: ac0507478d1c5bd693cfc4fe3987e900
Additional Information 3: ac05
Additional Information 4: ac0507478d1c5bd693cfc4fe3987e900

Hi @Heba,
The official minimum OS requirement is Windows 10 21H2, which is the latest Windows 10 release.
I know that all versions, until 4.0 unofficially supported even Windows 7.
For version 4.0 the team did many changes, so probably it does not support Win 7, 8.1 and even some early versions of Windows 10?!
But only a team member could give you more details on this topic.

Best regards,
Thurisaz

Thank you for the information Thurisaz!
I was already a little bit afraid of this answer. But my mother always said (in my language) ‘If you don’t shoot, you will always miss the target’. So here is me shooting. (Apparently in English I should say ‘Nothing ventured, nothing gained’.)

No problem, @Heba! :slight_smile: Most probably you will need to upgrade your Windows to 10 21H2. Since it runs Win 8.1, most probably the hardware will be compatible.
Good proverb from your mom! :slight_smile: Which is your native language? :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Thurisaz

My native language is Dutch. ‘Niet geschoten is altijd mis’. And I really like proverbs : - D

I’m sorry to say that Dorico 4 is targeting the Windows 10 SDK, which means that it cannot run on any version of Windows 8.1 because APIs that it uses are simply not available on that version of Windows.

Ok, thank you very much for the quick reply. At least now I know that I can stop trying. And I’ll just continue to enjoy Dorico 3.5.