Dorico 4 First Time

I have installed Dorico 4 SE and really like the look and feel of it, I’ve followed a few introductory videos but have hit a brick wall with one input. As I have come across from ‘Sibelius’ I wanted to know how I can correct a note input. In Sibeliu (I really won’t mention it again), you simply drag the note up or down the staff to correct it. What do you do in Dorico?

Alt + up or down arrow.

if you want semitones then you need SHIFT+ALT + arrow. CTRL+ALT+ arrow moves up and down in octaves.

Was just going to add that of course for Macs, it’s Cmd. And to flip it’s F. But @StevenJones01 is too quick for me!

Cmd+alt+arrow if you’re on a Mac.

These quick responses are very welcome, thank you.
Can I flip my beams at all?

1 Like

Press F.

It is great having a back up team, I appreciate it, thanks.

Most of us are just users like yourself.

I’ve started inputting notes for the first time, a 2nd clarinet part I want to use as a ‘tester’. I have input three crotchets in 3/4 time but Dorico is automatically creating another note in the new bar that is tied to the last. I need to input a half-note next in the new bar. How do I stop Dorico offering me a tied note.

As a new user, you might benefit from looking at our First Steps guide – it’s a walkthrough of creating a short piano piece from start to finish.

On this page, it demonstrates how inputting a half note on the last crotchet in a bar results in it appearing (correctly) as two tied quarters spanning the barline.

If you have a tied note that you want to be shorter, you can shorten it.

Thank you

I’m really getting into Dorico, very easy to use as a newbie. I’m creating a clarinet arrangement. Is there any way of removing the ‘Clarinet in Bb’ markings at the side of the staves?

Do you mean you want to hide staff labels entirely?

My paper copies show the label once, above the first stave only. How can I replicate this?

Layout Options–Staves and Systems.

Last question today, sorry about this…

When writing a clarinet part, do I work in transposed pitch?

If you’re inputting from a part, then yes.

That’s up to you, and depends on whether the layout is transposing or concert pitch.

Since I want to play along to the parts on a Bb clarinet, I would want the pitch the same.

It’s a bit disconcerting (and really frustrating) at first to see notes change from what you entered… but a couple of tips might help you. First, don’t worry about the displayed note values – keep entering notes. They “incorrect” ones might “fix themselves” based upon what notes come next. Also explore settings in Notation Options | Note Grouping. There are various settings which will usually give you what you want – it’s rare that you might need to use Force Duration. If you find that you’re using Force Duration much of the time, there is probably a setting that will make it easier.

Also explore tutorials about how various meters can be created to change the note groupings. For example, 6/8 will give a different note grouping than [2+2+2]/6 – even though they both display as “6/8”. (2/2 meter is still a bit messed up with note grouping, but easily fixed by entering a 4/4 meter in the second bar and hiding it, then using Force Duration in the first bar to fix as needed. More work to be done in that area.)