Dorico 4 First Time

How do I add a grace note AFTER a final note in the bar?

There’s nothing you can’t do in Dorico, when about rhythms, if you use hidden tuplets. If you send a picture of that last bar, I can share the detailed instructions :wink:

If it’s not the last bar in the flow, probably easiest to add the grace note to the first note in the following bar, and show it before the barline.

If you can share pictures or projects with questions, they’re always most welcome – it makes it a lot easier for people to offer more precise feedback and suggestions based on the context.

Forgive me, I have just done it using Lillie’s method, thank you so much

If I go back to the question raised above that Derrek responded to yesterday. I am showing what happens when I flip my notes. It pushes the ‘rests’ outside the stave. In ‘Engrave’ mode I couldn’t bring these back down under the line. Any ideas?

flip

You can select the rest, turn on its Rest Pos.(ition) property and set the value to 4. That way it’ll hang from the top staff line.

Your screenshot makes it look as though you’re dealing with either multiple instruments/players sharing a stave, or perhaps the main player is counting rests in a part layout while reading a cue of what someone else is doing. Dorico has dedicated divisi functionality, condensing functionality and cue functionality. It’s generally worth using the right tool for the job, so perhaps be more specific about the context you’re working in.

pianoleo, that worked a treat - thank you so much.

Yes, but Tony, since you didn’t describe what solved your problem, folks who consult this thread in the future will not be able to apply your solution to their own case. Which of Leo’s suggestions helped you solve the problem?

Derek, here it is…

1 Like

What they’re asking is: What is going on musically in those 2 bars? The notation is very unclear. You have full-size notes with bar-rests in another voice; is it supposed to be a cue, or something else? Why is one note stem-down, then the next bar stems-up? (Just because of the hairpin? That’s not enough of a reason.) Why do you have 2 of the same pitch slurred together, looking like a tie? The notation in that screenshot presents more questions than usable information to a reader.

Dorico handles all these kinds of details correctly when you input things semantically, using the features as designed.

1 Like

Mark, I am playing clarinet 3 years now in our local brass and reed band. A lot of the music is supplied, having been photocopied over many years and is pretty old. I set about producing digital copies for myself, as I find they also help with the off-beat rhythms and marches in our band. So to answer your question, I have uploaded a snippet of the original music to show you what I was working from. I don’t understand what those two bars are doing - maybe you can explain?

Looks like a cue to me, though it’s curious that it doesn’t specify which instrument is playing those notes. Perhaps they’re cued in so that you could join in with them if needed?

1 Like

Daniel, you are most likely correct. Although my 2nd Clarinet part is what I have posted above, the 3rd Clarinet part shows the notes on, minus the rests. So I guess, I take a rest of two bars there.

Yes, definitely: unless the conductor or band leader tells you to play, you should treat that as a cue and not play the music in those two bars.

How can I input 4 crochets in a Cut Time signature? I will only allow 3…

Hi! You probably have input this new meter into a series of bars already there, without enabling insert mode… You can add one crochet in this bar by selecting something in that bar, shift-b, +1 q, enter
Hope it helps!

Mark, cheers but no luck

Attach your project, Tony, and we should be able to fix it very quickly.

Here it is…
American Patrol.dorico (530.2 KB)

I don’t know how you created this score… cutc meter with pick-up bar, but no signpost showing, and three quarters per bar? That’s really odd. I could get it to look like a “normal” (as in “expected”) score by deleting the barlines, re-inputting the meter (shift-M, cutc, 0.5) but of course, now the music seems off.