Dorico 4 First Time

How do I prevent two sets of quavers tied by a beam being tied by one beam.

Enter the notes with “Force Duration” enabled (thats the Letter “O” on your keyboard). This, before adding the tie.

If it affects multiple bars or multiple staves, you could also think about changing the time signature and hiding it if necessary. The time signature can set how many beats you want notes to be grouped/beamed in.

I was able to do this using the ‘beam together’ command’, thanks

I was inputting my key signature into Dorico as a transcribed score and a red caption box appeared stating Bb Major. Why isn’t it showing the Bb symbol?

Are you perhaps writing for an instrument type that doesn’t show key signatures by default?

Yes, a Bb clarinet.
If I want to start an arrangement for tis instrument, do I set it up from scratch in transposing score or concert pitch. The music I am writing is in Bb and Cut Time. How is this done?

If I go into concert pitch and set the Key Sig to Eb and switch to transposing score it shows the Bb I want. Is this the correct way to do it?

Ah, currently when you add key signatures, they always have to be in concert pitch, so if you’re copying out a transposed part, you’ll need to mentally transpose the key signature back into concert pitch. If you want to see a B flat key signature in your transposed part, you’ll need to create an A flat key signature.

When I insert an Ab key signature it shows Eb…

With a B flat instrument, a concert C major key signature shows D major in the transposed part, so a concert A flat key signature will show B flat in the transposed part.

So do I write the part in transposed mode?

If you want to copy notes that are already transposed, then input them into a Transposed Layout. If you source material is in concert pitch, then enter them into a non-transposed layout. You can change the option from concert pitch to transposed in a layout’s Layout options (or you can create a concert layout and a transposed layout and switch back and forth according to your needs.

transpose

I’ve spent too much time trying to insert. a dotted minum into a bar, is it because the bar is split as shown in the top right hand corner at A.

Shouldn’t be, are you following the steps described here?

I was able to insert the dotted minum by using the ‘Force Duration’ command, i also now need to split the bar as shown here at A.

In Write mode:
select the crotchet A on the 4th beat of that bar
press shift-B
type shift-\
type shift-;
press Enter

If you’ve got Dorico Pro or Elements, you have access to Notation Options where you can set per-flow defaults for how notes (especially tied notes or notes that could appear either as tied or dotted) and beams are grouped in different meters and in different circumstances. See here.

In this situation, it could even be that the dotted minim appeared as a minim tied to a crotchet when the last beat was a rest, but would have become a dotted minim automatically when you input the last note in the bar. This sort of thing (how durations are presented) can be very fluid in Dorico, and controllable at a top-level, because Dorico understands how long the note is in total, regardless of how it’s subdivided into ties etc.

Thank you Steven, that worked perfectly.
For future reference, where exactly can I find this in the on-line help?

It’s probably under the barlines section.

Shift-B brings up the barlines popover.
Shift-\ followed by shift-; enters the characters | : into the popover ( : | would give a repeat barline facing the other way).
Enter confirms what you have typed and acts on it.

The barline is entered at the selected point in the music. Another way to indicate this point is to activate the caret (for music input) by double-clicking just before the note or by selecting the note and pressing shift-N.

Instructions for inputting barlines are here. Reference for what you can enter into the popover is here.