Dorico 4 First Time

Segno and coda structures are still very much part of the repertoire. I suppose technically you could substitute everything with repeat endings, but you might end up with a “first ending” bracket spanning half the score… More and more common as well though is just writing the entire form out linearly, no repeat structures whatsoever. Very easy to navigate and communicate about, at the expense of more pages.

Very good point, I guess the better option may be to write the arrangement out entirely, it’s only going to be two pages I guess anyway, thanks

I’ve changed the appearance of my ‘Trill’ but it still isn’t showing the sharp required? Whats the problem?

Look at properties?

I got it but need to change it to a sharp,

You got what? You have to explain – or better, illustrate – what you see, otherwise we can’t even guess what the problem is.

There are controls in Properties for trill interval display. You have to select the trill in order to see them. If you change the trill to a non-diatonic interval the accidental should appear automatically.

And I’m just restating what the User Guide says. Are you finding the documentation difficult to understand?

Mark, I am able to access the properties and alter the appearance of the ‘trill’ but I don’t understand why it shows as a ‘natural’ and not a ‘sharp’

I see your score, but I don’t see the lower zone with the Properties panel. Ctrl+8 (Command on Mac) to show/hide Properties. There you can change the trill to a whole step.

You have to change the interval to a M2:

Thanks, both of you. I should have really tried harder!

I’m just back from a 5week holiday in Australia so I’m a bit rusty at the moment.

Can someone explain what appears to be a full bar rest under the top line of a stave that holds a ‘dotted minim’ below. And how do I insert this in Dorico, please?

Sounds like a Stem Down voice below a resting Stem Up voice. In Write mode, pressing V lets one switch between voices. (And SHIFT+V creates a new voice.)

Derek, thanks for that. Yes, I have been able to do this. I’m transcribing a 1914 March and it shows with stems up - I’ve tried flipping my stems but the rest moves off the stave.

How do I add a grace note AFTER a final note in the bar?

There’s nothing you can’t do in Dorico, when about rhythms, if you use hidden tuplets. If you send a picture of that last bar, I can share the detailed instructions :wink:

If it’s not the last bar in the flow, probably easiest to add the grace note to the first note in the following bar, and show it before the barline.

If you can share pictures or projects with questions, they’re always most welcome – it makes it a lot easier for people to offer more precise feedback and suggestions based on the context.

Forgive me, I have just done it using Lillie’s method, thank you so much

If I go back to the question raised above that Derrek responded to yesterday. I am showing what happens when I flip my notes. It pushes the ‘rests’ outside the stave. In ‘Engrave’ mode I couldn’t bring these back down under the line. Any ideas?

flip

You can select the rest, turn on its Rest Pos.(ition) property and set the value to 4. That way it’ll hang from the top staff line.

Your screenshot makes it look as though you’re dealing with either multiple instruments/players sharing a stave, or perhaps the main player is counting rests in a part layout while reading a cue of what someone else is doing. Dorico has dedicated divisi functionality, condensing functionality and cue functionality. It’s generally worth using the right tool for the job, so perhaps be more specific about the context you’re working in.

pianoleo, that worked a treat - thank you so much.