Dorico 4 First Time

All done. By the way, there’s a free update to Dorico 4.1.10 available to you within Steinberg Download Assistant - I believe you’re currently working in 4.0.30.

1 Like

I have two bars showing Horn and Tenor Sax but the notes are tiny compared to normal notation. Where do I get these in Dorico? Do I add another player?

If you were constructing parts from a score, you’d use the Cue functionality, which dynamically displays whatever’s in the Horn and Tenor Sax staves in whatever part you’re working on.

Given you’re typing up a single part, and given limitations in Dorico Elements, I’d suggest typing the cue notes straight into your (clarinet?) part, then using the Scale property at the left end of the properties panel to scale them down to cue size. Then perhaps just regular Shift-X text to say who’s playing those notes, and you can either scale this down from the text toolbar or using the same scale property.

You may also want to force some bar rests into an additional voice: place the caret, Shift-V to create a new voice, then Shift-B Rest Enter to create a bar rest. For subsequent occurrences you’ll need V rather than Shift-V to switch between the existing voices.

That worked fine, I scaled the notes down.

Good Morning Leo,

Did a message arrive with you late yesterday evening regarding ‘Big Spender’ part? I thought I sent a query but not sure if it arrived concerning tempo marks and frame margins?

Tony

I took the evening off. I’ll reply shortly.

2 Likes

How can I achieve this? Where the notes straddle either side of a double bar line in 2/4 time - as shown?

Select the first note of the Trio, type Shift-B, enter || or double, and Return. Dorico handles the meter (no change) automatically.

If this were not mid-bar, the key change would include a double barline with it. But since you need a fermata on the double barline, you have to split the bar as above.

Mark,

Thank you for coming to the rescue - and if you can explain whats happening here in the second repeat bar and the double bar that follows
villager

• how do I perform this, please?

cut the tie reaching into the bar with the “f”
select that bar
type Shift-R end
Enter
then re-instate your tie.
first note in bracket 2.: add a l.v.
then in Engrave mode give it the shape
you need; usually I flip it with F and than
move one if the handles backwards, using the alt key and the left-arrow key

Im working through a part which uses voicings (if thats the correct term) and although I had no trouble getting the top bar I cannot get the notes to sit on the bar below. What am I doing wrong?

Without knowing what you are doing, it’s hard to say!

I have input the note g and selected next voice (v) to input the a note. I don’t remember how I managed to get the first bar correct but I cannot get the lower bar.

There’s only one voice, as the notes share a stem.

Getting the top bar to do what? If you want to change the voice, select the notes and press V (or Shift V if it’s a new voice).

Cross staff notes?

Hi Tony,
this notes (g and a) are in one voice only. You need to activate the chord function (Q) to input more than one note in the same voice (notes that share the same stem a @benwiggy said) unless you use a midi keyboard to input them (were you just play the notes together).

Hier the manual:

Tony, may I suggest and recommend you to look at the very useful videos on the Dorico YT channel in the Playlist called How To?: you will find many answers (even if some videos refer to older versions of Dorico the concepts are the same).

1 Like

Christian_R, thank you so much for this. I guess I didn’t explain myself very well. You came up with the answer instantly - I didn’t even see the chords button in my toolbox.

How can I control the number of bars per stave and can this vary. When digitising a paper copy and trying to copy it exactly as it looks, I need to be able to push bars onto new staves and visa versa. How can this be done?

In Engrave mode I have selected a bar line and typed a comma to return it, are there other short-cuts I can use to control things better.

Have you read about System Breaks?

If you’re trying to match an engraved score, and you consistently find that Dorico is putting more bars onto each line, then you might want to change the Note Spacing value in Layout Options for the whole project. (If you have Pro, you can also set Note Spacing Changes at any point in the score.)

Benwiggy,

System Break (Shift+S) done the trick and I also altered my margin as in the paper original.
Thank You

@TonyMcGartland you may benefit from working through our First Steps guide for new users. It covers a lot of key functionality (including building up chords) and provides not only lots of pictures to accompany all the steps within the guide, but also comes with demo projects that you can work from.

In the updated Dorico 4 First Steps guide, we added a topic that’s all about working with parts, and covers how to add system breaks. This is in addition to the “Laying out and formatting pages” section, which demonstrates how you don’t even necessarily need to use manual system breaks at all, as adjusting the default settings for the layout can get you to a good result in itself.