Dorico 4 in early 2022?

There are articles saying that Dorico 4 will be released early in 2022.
How early will that be? January or later?
Should I buy Dorico 3.5 now or is it better to wait a month for Dorico 4?
Any clues will be very much appreciated! Thank you!

Buy now and your upgrade to 4 will be free as far as I recall.

1 Like

Caution before you push the button - I’d want the Dorico team to confirm that if I were you. While I’d like 4.0 sooner like a kid wants Christmas to come - I haven’t heard a date yet.

1 Like

Yes, Daniel said that any purchase of Dorico 3.5 after August 25th (I think that was the date given) would be able to get Dorico 4 for free.

1 Like

Indeed

As an alternative to caution, I believe the Steinberg sale is still on until Dec 13.

5 Likes

Awesome! My bad.

1 Like

Thanks a lot! Very helpful!

I’ve just read the article. Does this mean to take advantage of running Dorico without a dongle, Dorico 3.5 users will have to buy the upgrade?

You can still use Dorico without a dongle, but only tied to a single computer. However, if you already have your license in a dongle, that’s irreversible, and you’ll have to upgrade do enjoy the dongleless life.

Is that right?

My reading of the FAQ was that all active licenses would be transferred to the new license system within a couple of years. In other words, I don’t think it’s dependent on upgrading.

They say they are not going to change the licence system for current versions:

MIGRATING EXISTING LICENSES

Can I migrate all my licenses to the new system?

Steinberg Licensing will be used for new products and updates to existing products as they each arrive at their next major version, but until each product has been updated to use the new Steinberg Licensing system, existing licenses will continue to use the eLicenser system during the transitional period. We expect to transition all actively-maintained products to the new Steinberg Licensing system within the next two years.

After I update to Steinberg Licensing, will I still be able to run previous versions of the products I’ve bought?

Yes, provided you either have your USB-eLicenser connected to your computer, or the Soft-eLicenser containing the license for the previous version of the product is present on the computer. The new Steinberg Licensing system does not apply to versions of our products prior to the first version that uses the new system: so if you buy, say, a new license for Cubase 12 as a brand new customer, you cannot run Cubase 11 or earlier, but if you are an existing Steinberg customer who updates to Cubase 12 from Cubase 11, you can still run Cubase 11 or indeed any previous version of Cubase provided you connect your USB-eLicenser containing the license for Cubase 11.

Thanks Lucas - however I’m reading it differently to you.

My take is that the new products will be at the forefront of introducing the new licensing system and existing licenses will continue to use the old system. However, all some point in the next two years all actively maintained (note - maintained, not updated) products will also be transferred to the new licensing system.

I understand that it refers to products that are getting updates, as opposed to legacy products, but that you will need those updates to use the new system. Also, once a version stops getting updates, is no longer maintained. Actually, old versions of those products may not work nor aren’t supported in most recent OS, so I don’t think they’ll be updated for the new system either.

I remember Daniel mentioning, that no Dorico Version prior to 4 will ever be migrated to the new licensing system. That would require the team to give another update to each currently existing Dorico version, probably even needing to port them to the new m1 architecture, because that’s what the licensing system will be ported to. Even better, there are OS which don’t support Dorico 1 anymore, but probably will not be supported by Dorico 4, too (if I calculated correctly?) - I really don’t see the Dorico team going down this route. All the beautiful features that could be implemented for all this effort…

1 Like

So in this context “maintained” and “updated” are synonymous.

We can’t say with absolute certainty that we will never update users’ licenses for versions of Dorico prior to Dorico 4 to the new licensing system. Exactly what happens in that department will depend on precisely what we ultimately decide to do about the eventual decommissioning of the eLicenser infrastructure. Certainly we would prefer that all Dorico users are on the latest version – or at least a version using Steinberg Licensing – so it may be that by the time we’re ready to decommission the eLicenser servers, which will be at least a couple of years in the future and maybe longer, we decide to offer existing users a very preferential rate to get them to update to a version using Steinberg Licensing. But this is all pure speculation on my part.

If you want to take advantage of the new capabilities of Steinberg Licensing, then make plans to update to Dorico 4 or a later version.

3 Likes

I’m excited to see what Dorico 4 has in store! Unfortunately I purchased Dorico 3.5 just under 1 month before your cutoff date :pensive: I did have one question however: is it going to be compatible with Apple Silicon (native not Rosetta)? I just purchased an M1 Max and am wanting to keep this machine strictly native AS.

Dorico 4, yes.

1 Like