DORICO 4, its MIXER and PLAY mode

It won’t be mine - I’m useless on playback stuff!

So can you help me find the person who will in turn help me?
On Monday will be great :slight_smile:
Witold

The Dorico team will definitely see this thread when they get a chance.

As a fellow user I’m no better connected to the development team than you are. I have no doubt that somebody helpful will read this thread sooner rather than later, though Daniel said just yesterday (elsewhere on this forum) that he was at sea, so it may not be him.

Ok, thanks. Have a nice weekend.
Witold

Hi @witold, unfortunately I can’t help on your issue, but hopefully @dspreadbury can. Despite having to wait, have a nice Sunday.

Of course @dspreadbury can. He just needs to come back from weekend :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Have a nice Sunday too.
Witold

I have seen that you have emailed your file to me, @witold, and I will take a look as soon as I can. My suspicion is that your userlibrary.xml file is absolutely fine but that you are experiencing the same bug that some other users have also experienced. We will be releasing an update with a fix for this problem as soon as we can. I am actually out of the country at the moment but I will be back in the saddle tomorrow and should be able to advise further then, if not before.

1 Like

Hi,
I have just posted on another thread a problem with Dorico 4 crashing every time when a new playing/playback technique is assigned as default. I have read the posts here and following your advice copied the user file from crashing machine to another machine with the same OS (Big Sur) and D4. Once I replaced the original file with the copied one, Dorico 4 would not even start. It was continuously crashing on boot. So obviously there is something wrong with the userlibrary.xml file. Anyone here encountered such a problem? Did you find a solution? Can you share it?
Witold

Just checking that you copied the “good” xml safely somewhere and have now replaced the “evil” one with it and Dorico is opening fine again?

You didn’t mention this step and now I’m stressing for you!

I hid the original and used a copy, but it did not change much. When I put the original back to its place even D4 on Mac Pro began to crash on boot. I do have a very good version of all my techniques on D3.5 and would like to transfer it to D4, but simple copying does not seem to work. D4 crashes on it too. Would you have an idea how to make this transfer?
Witold

I’m sorry. If your original file is back where it was originally then I don’t know what to advise next.

Edit: I would probably reinstall Dorico if it was me

The procedure was to move/disguise the existing library file and not to replace it but to let Dorico create a new one when you restart the program. That would indicate that the existing library file was causing the problem(s).

Has anyone told you that the 3.5 library file would be compatible with Dorico 4?

When you create a new file all works perfect, but all user-created techniques are gone. And I have created about a hundred of them, so understandably I prefer to recuperate them in an easiest way possible. And reinstalling Dorico made no difference. Finally, when I first installed Dorico 4 it imported all my user stuff from D3.5 so obviously there is a way to do it. I thought of totally uninstalling D4 to create a ground for a “virgin” install of D4, thus repeating the process of import of my work, but before that I will wait for the reaction of Steinberg.
Witold

Hi Witold. I just read (part of) the other thread… As you probably have found out, other users have suffered from a problem where, when getting rid (by moving to another folder, not necessarily deleting) of the userlibrary.xml, Dorico would work again. Daniel wtote in another thread that this problem was being taken care of, and that a minor update was going to be released to resolve this issue. I suppose they know what is going wrong with those problematic userlibrary files, and that they will contact you as soon as they’re able to help you solve your problem.
I 'm sorry for the bad timing you’re into: my experience is that this team is the fastest, most dedicated and efficient I’ve ever experienced in nearly 35 years of computer-related experience…

I am with Steinberg almost two decades and I know they are fast and professional. As for my battle there is something deepper in this problem. In short, I hid the original uselibrary file (did not even touch it, just moved to secure location), launched D4 so it automatically created a new user file, closed D4, put the original file back and what? D4 crashes on boot on its own, untouched userlibrary file. So now not only defaulting a new technique is not working, the whole D4 is not working. I send a ticket to Steinberg and hope they will help me out soon.
Witold

At least on my machine, Daniel’s reply to this has ended up midway up the thread. I’m not entirely sure how - it’s here DORICO 4, its MIXER and PLAY mode - #88 by dspreadbury

1 Like

Time zone? Or, time travel?

I was going to say that during the period in which I crossed the international date line (March 11-13 and March 16-16) I didn’t have any problems with misplaced posts, but it transpires I didn’t have working internet so didn’t post :wink:

1 Like

Just a matter of computer trivia, properly designed systems use universal time for all internal representations. Universal time is not affected by time zones, daylight savings shifts or crossing the date line. For human display, the universal time is converted to a format that hopefully matches how the user wants to see it. I don’t know why Daniel’s post might appear out of time sequence. One would have expected that the relevant database table would be sequenced by universal time.

1 Like