Dorico 4 licensing issue

I’ve downloaded, paid for and installed Dorico 4. I noticed too late that I should have installed the Upgrade from 3.5, so I have downloaded and installed everything. Do I need to delete anything?

Also now when I try to open Dorico 4 I get the eLicenser Control - Error "Application not registered. However I definitely registered it. What do I do?

Did you successfully redeem your DAC in the Steinberg Download Assistant?

I’m using Dorico 4 now, but when I went to Help > Register Now > Redeem Download Access Code > which I entered, I got led to this page. I got rid of my USB licenses because they were interfering with East West Play, and I don’t really want to have to go that route again if possible.

To complete the upgrade process from Dorico 3.5 to Dorico 4, you will need your Dorico 3.5 license to be activated in eLicenser Control Center.

Where do I find the licence number for that?

NB I found this in my products

I also tried following things through by redeeming the licence code again. But I got this sequence of windows

To reinstate the Dorico 3.5 license on your eLicenser you should follow the reactivation process described here: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/206530004-Software-license-reactivation-requesting-new-activation-codes-

Hi Ben,

I think something has gone really wrong for me! I had a 3.5 full edu license. Now when I try the steps above it comes up as ‘depreciated’. In the e-license I can’t get the “not-upgradable” license to accept the upgrade to Dorico 4. Sorry to be so daft.

Thank you for any help you might be able to offer.

Simon

If your license in eLicenser Control Center is showing as “non-upgradeable” then it sounds like the DAC was redeemed successfully. If you open the Steinberg Activation Manager, can you see a license for Dorico 4 in there?

yes. However, it says verification pending.

It may be that Steinberg Activation Manager has not picked up the new license.

Could you try signing out, closing Steinberg Activation Manager, waiting 10 seconds and signing back in again to force it to refresh the licenses.

(PS. Dorico 4 should still be able to run while the license is “verification pending”)

OK, It gave me the option to activate, which I clicked on. It’s still showing ‘pending verification’. Dorico is trying to launch but getting stuck at Launched audio engine.

Thank you so much for the help with this!

I’m going to do the IT thing now and ask you to restart your computer and try again.

1 Like

No problem!

OK, I did a restart and Dorico 4 started and gets as far as Launching Audio Engine:

then the spinning beachball appears!

Rebooted and still getting stuck at Launched Audio Engine: with a spinning beachball!

If I Force Quit and restart is gets stuck at SKI or playback but then eventually gets stuck at this screen.

VSTAudioEngine5_2022-01-12-190843_Simons-MacBook-Pro.crash.zip (28.3 KB)

You may be running into the problem that a few people have had today, and an incompatible module is being loaded that is causing the audio engine to crash.

Please go to /Users/your-username/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports and see if there are any crash files in there from today whose names begin with Dorico or VSTAudioEngine. If so, please zip them up and attach them here.

I know this isn’t helpful, but I find the whole e-licensing thing totally confusing. Every time I have to wrestle with it, it takes me at least 30 mins of ‘maintenance works’ , checking ‘My Steinberg’ account etc. The whole thing was designed by a software engineer with little account taken for a ‘normie’ to operate. Am I right in thinking that with Dorico 3.5 I’m stuck with the USB e-licenser and still have to use transport it between computers? If I wanted to have Dorico installed on a few computers I’d have to upgrade to Dorico 4? Is that correct?

1 Like

Hi Daniel,

I am experiencing the exact same issue as above. Trying to upgrade my Dorico 3.5 EDU license to 4.0. I see that the verification is pending and when I go to upgrade (redeem my code) I also see that there is “No License To Upgrade Selectable” for my elicenser. Any help is appreciated!