Dorico 4 missing features and improvements

Apologies if this has been discussed ad nauseam, but I’m kinda new to the forum (well, not really, but I haven’t participated in here for a while).

Since the start of the pandemic, I haven’t been using Dorico, until recently. For this reason, in order to regain familiarity with the software, I decided to work on a John Williams score (link below if you’re curious). While I am impressed with its notation capabilities, the Sequencer and Mixing Console are still missing basic functionality. The most crucial for me are:

• The ability to create Bus and FX channels.
  • Track Automation.
  • Ability to Copy/Paste MIDI CC data.
  • Ability to enter exact fader values. Or even using a modifier to adjust them gradually would suffice.

As for improvements:

• Smoothing of CC data when interpreting dynamic markings in a score. Right now they’re very squarish, which produce sudden jumps in volume that are not desirable.

• Being able to manually assign track colors based on instrument family. It just makes it easier to navigate the mixer when one is able to assign colors to each track.

Honestly, that’s all I need. I feel like anything beyond that would be the icing on the cake. If there’s something I mentioned above that Dorico 4.1 can already do, please let me know. I would really appreciate it as that would make things easier for me.

Thanks for listening and for making Dorico such a great notation software. Looking forward to your replies.

“Yoda’s Theme” by John Williams:
["Yoda's Theme" by John Williams, notated using Dorico 4.1. Most of the samples are from the Berlin Collection (Berlin Woodwinds, Berlin Brass, Berlin... | By Jose | Facebook]

2 Likes

Thanks for your suggestions, @jose7822. I hope you will find that the increased resolution of the dynamics and MIDI CC editors in Dorico 4.1 allow you to produce output that is as smooth as you could want – but please do let me know if you find that not to be the case.

1 Like

Yes. The resolution is great, it’s just that it’s a bit time consuming to work with automation without the ability to Copy/Paste them. But thanks for working hard on improving it, as well as everything else in Dorico 4. Much appreciated :slightly_smiling_face:.

Hi @dspreadbury and @jose7822,
I hope you are doing well! :slight_smile:

I agree with Jose about :

1. Track Automation
  • I hope they will be re-integrated very soon!
  • It’s great to have them in the KeyEditor, but we also need all these functions on the Track timeline in order to have faster control on multiple tracks, just like in Cubase.
  • Bezier curves for the Automation is another great thing to be integrated. It works amazing in Cubase.
  1. Ability to Copy - Paste Automation data, not only MIDI CC, but Dynamics as well.
  2. Would be nice to have Track colors in order to group the instruments and I would like to see Folder Track. Just like in Cubase
  3. Of course we need more improved Mixer with Group and FX channels + Control Room section, but probably the mixer will gradually evolve to that state by the time
  4. Would be awesome if we have “Edit in Place” button on the tracks in order to expand a KeyEditor directly on the Timeline.

I really do hope all these improvements will take place in Dorico! :slight_smile:

Best wishes,
Thurisaz

1 Like

I thought about putting Bezier curves on the list, but I felt too greedy lol. Definitely agree with you though, since that would make drawing automation much easier. And of course, everything else you mentioned would be awesome to have.

1 Like

Hi @jose7822,
Don’t afraid of being “greedy” for software features! :slight_smile:
After all this is the only way to help the improvement of the program.
No matter that Dorico is already a very advance for it’s short life, still it needs improvements in various aspects, especially since it’s a DAW-like Scoring Software, which is separate category of programs and means that both aspects of the product should be at the same level of advancement.
So, don’t worry ask for whatever you find important to be improved, or integrated into Dorico. :slight_smile:

Best wishes,
Thurisaz :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Another one for the list would be cursor crosshair in the editors. In Dorico 3.5 I could at least place the playback line wherever I wanted, but since 4 it’s really hard to tell when you’re aligned with the notes and the playback line always snaps to the grid…

1 Like

Do you mean that you find it hard to tell whether you are lining up exactly with the attack of the note when you add a MIDI CC value in the editor?

Yes, most DAWs have a line vertically and another one horizontally, that take off from the cursor, to line up edits with events and values. It would also be very nice to have the values displayed before actually having to write them, like it used to be in 3.5.

We’ll see what we can do to add this.

1 Like

Like this

1 Like