Dorico 4 - More Stability Please

You are correct. So if I change the look of the page, I cannot change the Master Page and expect any changes to show up. A warning would have been nice.

Any idea how to get the instruments back into the mixer? (see previous post)

I find it useful to indent any centered text fields on my master pages by about 10 units at each end in order to add left- and/or right-aligned text fields. That way they are easy to click on without worrying about overlapping. Few if any centered Master Page tokens take up the entire width of the page.

Concerning the missing playback sounds, I would suggest you try Play > Playback Template and try re-applying the HSSE+HSO (Pro) playback template. That should cause everything to be torn down and re-assigned.

There’s a description of the different overrides you can make to pages in the manual here. I’ve also tried to include a few notes elsewhere in the manual about the consequences of local page overrides, e.g. in this introductory topic explaining what master pages are, and in the result of the page about customizing master pages,

1 Like

This is precisely the reason for the red triangle. It tells you that that particular page is now being overridden and not following the default master pages.

1 Like

This is what displays when I edit a Master Page. But you are right, If I go to the page that has been overridden, I will see the red triangle. A warning would still have been helpful.

re-applying the HSSE+HSO(Pro) template fixed the missing instrument problem.
Thanks.
If I can figure out how the instruments disappear, I’ll re-post here.

exactly! The trouble is that playback is for me the most important part of the programme and it’s still possible to induce crashes when messing around with the line tool in the playback window though they are certainly infrequent with the current version. It’s very rare for anything outside the area of playback to cause a crash in my experience.

I’m still having problems with playback once in a while and for some reason Dorico has crashed twice in the last week. When I lose playback, re-applying the Pro template gets my sounds back.
The last time it crashed was when I was opening a file. Since nothing was lost, I tried again and it opened fine the second time. I created diagnostic files after each crash and have attached them to this post.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (925.2 KB)
Dorico Diagnostics1.zip (742.1 KB)

FWIW on a Mac Pro cylinder I had continual crashes and hangs- worked a lot with Daniel but we didn’t resolve it. Could be a driver, except Wavelab and Nuendo (and all other DAWs) had zero problems with the machine, so Dorico does seem overly sensitive to something.

Gave up and got a new Windows machine. More stable, however it does get upset sometimes after sleep. Had a few crashes and hangs but I can deal with it.

Just installed on a new laptop. Other than always being an eLicensor “Retry” dialog after hibernate it’s been working fine.

I have troubles with Dorico and several other software applications after sleeping my Windows computer. I’m learning to power down instead. Bummer, sleep speeds booting up.

I was able to make Dorico crash again today. I had a feeling it might so I think I can help the developers here.
In Engrave mode go to the bottom of a part. Double click where the Copyright would display.

Delete the copyright field and replace it with “Revised” and a date field

While in this edit mode, click on another part.
Dorico will crash and disappear from the screen.
If you get out of the edit mode before going to a new part, Dorico works fine.
Hope this helps.

Here’s the diagnostic file.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (821.1 KB)

And just to clarify, if you click out of editing prior to switching the part, it does not crash, correct?

That is correct.

There are two crash logs in your diagnostics. One of them relates to a crash somewhere in the communication layer between Dorico and the audio engine, which we’ve seen before, and the other appears to be related to the crash you are reporting with switching layout while the text editor is open. Unfortunately to date I’ve been unable to reproduce the problem. If it’s completely reproducible for you, could you please attach the project in which you’re experiencing the crash and the concrete steps that reliably produce the crash? Thanks!

the audio engine often doesn’t like being put to sleep. In some cases it can crash and others is OK but I’d normally advise closing Dorico before going to sleep. If you’re working on a project which takes ages to load the samples then that’s one of several reasons why it’s a good idea to use VE Pro so the samples can be kept in memory even after Dorico is shut down. I’ve also seen eLicenser errors after sleep. Sibelius also had intermittent issues of this nature.

I asked one of my colleagues in our testing team to reproduce your crash, @David_Johns, and she was able to do so. The good news is that the problem does not occur in our current development builds, so it should be OK in the next major version of Dorico when it arrives.

2 Likes

I’m glad you were able to recreate the problem and that it seems to already be corrected.
Thankfully, just getting out of edit mode is all I need to do to keep working.
The audio issue i have not been able to reproduce but reloading the template gets my instruments back. Neither of these problems are a big deal. As long as I can work around them, I’m good.