Dorico 4 wish list: Focus Panel

A user library for all motif, sentences, idea for composing with all access of the building élément.

it is the only think i need

Another thing I would add is the same grouping of tracks as in the Setup panel. You want to hide all the Brass at once? Uncheck the Brass group from the Focus pane.

Paolo

I would love to be able to write more than one tempo simultaneously.
Just a wish.

An excellent suggestion!
David

The lack of a ‘focus on staves’ feature in combination with how Dorico displays all a player’s instrumental doubles when in Galley mode has been a thorn in my side for years now. Very depressing that this feature, which would be useful for large scores in any style of music, is not a priority feature for development. The separate layout for each ‘view’ is a non solution in my book. Much too heavy weight. We should not have to create a persistent object just to move things around on the screen so we can work. If the platform solution is a layout for each view, Dorico should create and manage these transparently behind the scenes without users even having to know that their ‘focus on staves’ view is actually a layout.

1 Like

What are you basing this assumption on?

2 Likes

This thread is almost 2 years old. If it was a priority, it would be done by now.

There’s only been one major desktop release - 3.5 - since this thread started, and that was in May 2020. By the time this thread came about, the feature list for 3.5 was likely already set in stone; features take time to implement, test internally and then beta test. I wouldn’t take this particular gap as indicative of anything except that there’s been a pandemic, a big MacOS architecture change, an iPad release and Steinberg’s licensing overhaul.

6 Likes

…and a major update regarding the underlying GUI technology they use.

OP here… Let me just say in the D-Team’s defense that a) a feature like this is a complicated one that, while a priority of mine (and many of you, I see!) is not a 'MAKE THIS THING I WANT BE HERE NOW" kind of add. Furthermore, from personal experience I can assure you that when Daniel and Co. are working on a new feature, the focus is on getting it right—often in rather revolutionary fashion, with input from users along the way. If they’re taking their time, it’s because they want to make it a feature we can rely on. (That said, I’m hoping it’s a go for 4!).

2 Likes

AAAAAAND it arrived. Instrument Filters. I told ya. :grin:

1 Like