Dorico 5.0.20 crashes when you turn on or off a Midi device

Hello All
There is still the same problem in Dorico 5.0.20 for Mac OS Monterey, when you turn a Midi device on OR off it crashes every time maybe there is a missing
error handling in the source code.
Please fix this, it is annoying to loose work only because I turned a Midi Keyboard
on to input some additional Notes.

Thank you very much

Best Regards
Reto Byell

Could you please do from the menu Help > Create Diagnostics Report and post the corresponding zip file here. Thanks

Hello Ulf
Here the Report, I noticed this happens always if i newly started my Mac and launched Dorico first and after that I start all my Roli Midi devices.

Best
Reto

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (923 KB)

Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 10.01.29.pdf (97.1 KB)

Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 10.01.42.pdf (103 KB)

Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 10.02.15.pdf (1.01 MB)

Thanks for the data @Reto_Byell .
It contains two crash files of Dorico, but the callstack is a weird one.

May I ask some additional question?
So you have several Roli devices? Do you switch them on in one go or one after another?
It’s also crashing when switching of Roli devices?
Does it happen immediately when plugging one device in?
Do you have other MIDI devices? Does it only happen with Rolis?
Did you try on a different USB-Port?

Sorry for so many questions, but it is quite difficult to get behind this one, so I need all this information. I’ve tried with my M1 MacMini and it reacts properly on plugging a little MIDI keyboard, accordingly, that what you report is not a general case.

I also wonder whether it might be worth activating Filter out MIDI controllers on the Play page of Preferences, to see whether that has any impact on this issue.

What specific Roli hardware do you have connected to your Mac, @Reto_Byell?

Are you using multiple Lumi Keys connected together? I’ve always thought that was absolutely brilliant idea for a full-size portable 48-key keyboard; two 24-key keyboards simply connected together. The lights and the price are a drawback for me personally, but I would absolutely buy two 24-key easily portable non-lighted versions.

Hello All
Thank you all here two pic’s of my Workspace

Here how my AMS looks like
Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 18.03.05.pdf (507.7 KB)

@Ulf I will send you a E-Mail after I tested all but it will take some time, I plan to answer Monday or Tuesday

Best
Reto

3 Likes

You’ve got … 8 Lumi Keys?!? :astonished:
Are you using a NanoKey for each big band instrument or something? Obviously off topic to your Dorico issue, but what a fascinating setup! Have you posted about it elsewhere? I’m really curious how you have everything configured.

Hi @Reto_Byell ,
sure no problem, take your time.

Btw, your studio is really impressive, though I don’t want to see your monthly energy bill :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Ulf

So you have several Roli devices? Do you switch them on in one go or one after another?

I switch them in rapid succession one after another then Dorico crashes , but if I switch them with 2 seconds pause between Dorico stays.

It’s also crashing when switching of Roli devices

No

Does it happen immediately when plugging one device in?

Yes, but not always

Do you have other MIDI devices? Does it only happen with Rolis?

No, it happens CME WidiBud, Keith MacMillen BopPad, Korg NanoKey, Korg Nano Control and Korg Nano Studio

If i plug and unplug in rapid succession it always crashes , if I plug and unplug with 2 seconds in between its all good.

Did you try on a different USB-Port?

Yes

Sorry for so many questions, but it is quite difficult to get behind this one, so I need all this information. I’ve tried with my M1 MacMini and it reacts properly on plugging a little MIDI keyboard, accordingly, that what you report is not a general case.

No Problem at all, as you can see below I only selected all Lumi Keys in the Pref > Play >Midi Input Devices

Best
Reto

Screenshot 2023-12-04 at 14.39.27.pdf (73.2 KB)

Hi @Reto_Byell ,
thanks for the feedback.
So it looks like a matter of timing then. I will have a closer look tomorrow morning with my own Mac, a little patience please. Thanks

Good morning, here am I and yes, I can also reproduce this crash, even with just my little MIDI keyboard, but it is quite easy to provoke by simply plugging and unplugging the device in quick succession.
I’ll file the issue in our bug data base.
At least you have a workaround by switching on your devices slowly one after the other.

Hi Ulf
Since I am also a Programmer it would be nice to know what went wrong in the code.

Thank you very much
Reto

I did not have a closer look, yet, but it is pretty clear in what direction we need to investigate. Dorico itself does not handle MIDI devices, it’s the VSTAudioEngine background process. So whenever the VSTAudioEngine detects a MIDI devices being plugged or unplugged, it sends a notification message to Dorico. If now suddenly several such notifications come in quick succession, we have a race condition somewhere in that objects get created or destroyed during such notifications, so it is possible that we run into a dangling pointer situation.
But we need to take a closer look.

Hello Fred
Yes everything is connected , I also work with MAX/MSP and there I programmed Chordmemorizer and Chordorchestrator together with Logic and Audomodeling Plugins I have a creative playground for BigBand Arranging.
I am also in a Arranging Course , my Teacher is the Grammy Award winner Steven Feifke.
Sometimes its too much to handle but I getting use to it.

Best
Reto

2 Likes

Oh great! I’m friends with him and Alexa! I’m sure he’s a great teacher! We both had arrangements on Chad LB’s “Open World” virtual album too. Are you in NYC as well, or studying with him virtually?

Hi Fred
I am from Switzerland near Zuerich, and i am studying with Steven virtually.
Steven is a great teacher, love he’s way of explaining, its a pleasure of learning.
Last Saturday I met him in Bern where he gave a Concert together with Alexa, it was awesome , they where all great player, beautiful improvisation.

Have a grat time
Reto

1 Like

Hi @Reto_Byell , quick update on this. I finally found the cause and am about to resolve the issue. Unfortunately Dorico 5.1 is just out the door, and so it does not contain the fix. But most likely we will do a 5.1 maintenance release sooner or later, then it will definitely go in.

And what is the underlying error? During plugging of devices, notification messages fly around triggering a multitude of object creations resp. object deletions. That happens so quickly that we ended up with nullpointers and did not check properly on this condition.

1 Like

Hello Ulf
Thank you very much for the answer, so my guessing was right , I had a similar problem in the App i am programming, it has always something to do with this error handling when infos of devices are missing, somehow I
Solved my problem but I forgot how I did it, I would have to refresh it.

Best
Reto

No worries, in the next release it will be fixed. :smiley: