Dorico 5 and BBC SO pro

Hello everyone. Im having great fun learning to use Dorico and i love the BBC SO Pro sound library. One question that i have though, is who takes charge of dynamics? When i load e.g. a classic orchestra template, do i use dynamics as usual (e.g. slurs; legato; dynamics; techniques) via Dorico alone, or does the BBC SO settings need to be manipulated as well e.g. the vibrato wheel and those two dynamics “wheels” on the “e” click? And, if one make changes in the “e” area, does it apply to all the notes inserted thereafter? Sorry for the confused way of putting this, but i’m indeed confused.
Best wishes
Steven

basically, you can control almost everything in Dorico. For instance moving the mod wheel would be replicated by changing the volume dynamic (assuming this is set to CC1) in Dorico and this in turn corresponds to your dynamic marking in the score. So putting a p in you score immediately sends the instruction to the library to set the mod wheel at the correct level.

As for whether the settings apply to all subsequent notes, it depends on the particular articulation or setting. For instance, simple dynamics take effect until changed by a different one. Most text playing techniques are the same such as pizzicato, col legno etc. However, articulations like staccato or marcato are in general restricted to the specific notes they are applied to after which the playback goes back to the default state. It’s possible to see which behaviour these techniques employ – “attribute” for note only or “direction” for keep until setting changed by looking in the Playback Techniques in the Library menu but if you’re new to Dorico, don’t worry about this just yet – the above rules of thumb will get you most of the way.

Thanks so much. What happens to the level of vibrato is changed by turning the mod wheel full out though? Will that continue for all vibrato/arco settings for instance?

basically, if you change a setting in the BBC orchestra which is not specifically configured in the Dorico Expression Map (or by other Dorico defaults), then the setting you make will mostly stick. Testing the vibrato just now, whatever setting I put stays put because in my EM (and, I think, the “official” one with Dorico) there is nothing to contradict this value.

Thanks again - this answers things. What’s EM. (-:

just to add to the above, vibrato is assigned to CC21 in the BBC SO. This means that you can control it directly in the Key Editor by adding a channel for CC21 and drawing in your vibrato directly – this is probably the best approach with this library if you want to vary the vibrato. The screenshot below gives an example:

EM = Expression Map.