Dorico 5 crashes when opening Dorico 4.3 files

I too experience this problem. I stripped down systematically all elements from a very small file (2 pages of solo piano music) that crashed. I found this: the file crashes in all configurations, except when I delete all slurs. Then it opens fine. Hope that might be of some help.

When I save the file (including slurs) in Dorico 4.3 with the playback template set to Silence, it opens in Dorico 5 too. Whenever I set the playback template to HSSE+HSO (Pro), it crashes. But if I delete the slurs first and set the playback template to HSSE+HSO (Pro) afterwards, it works fine. Really curious.

@Axel ,

This is the first thing that comes up when I try to open your file.
errorPanel

And that occurs at 84%.

Sorry that anybody is spending any of their valuable time trying to get to the bottom of this: we have already fixed this problem in our internal development builds and we will get a “hotfix” release out as soon as we can with this fix included.

2 Likes

Thanks @dspreadbury

1 Like

The files loads now. Thanks for the update !

I am currently having this problem.

Please do Help > Create Diagnostic Report and attach the resulting zip file that will be created on your desktop.

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (571.8 KB)

Thanks for the diagnostics @DGMuu .

But is Dorico really crashing with you or just hanging, i.e. the colourful beachball is spinning and nothing happens any more. Because if the beachball is spinning then that is not a crash, just a deadlock or some other bad condition.
The diagnostics you’ve attached contain no crash dumps at all, that’s why my question.

It is crashing, not stalling. What would be the most helpful next step?

If it is really crashing, then there must be somewhere corresponding dump files (*.dmp)

Please open a File Explorer window and in the address bar type in “%appdata%” (without the quotes) and enter. That will take you to …\AppData\Roaming, but go one level back to just AppData. The on the top right of that window search for “*.dmp” (without the quotes) and let Windows search for you. If there is any file ending with .dmp and has “Dorico” or “VSTAudioEngine” somewhere in the name, then please zip them all up and send me.
Thanks

And if you still can’t find any crashdumps of Dorico, please have a look in the Dorico FAQ in the section Dorico is crashing. What do I do?, there is a script for some registry entry. Pleases try that.