Dorico 5 extremely slow

If I scale the resolution down, it doesn’t change anything.

Sonoma, 14.1.1. …?

You’re still driving the same number of pixels, whatever you scale it to. How are they both connected? And what’s the res of the Acre?

Your M2 Pro MBP should easily cope with 2 x 4K displays, but the connection types may be a factor.

I use the best cables I could find (Thunderbolt). - The resolution of the Acer is a little lower, I don’t know exactly as I am currently at the other location. But it was something like 2600 x 1440.

Hi @lim.usic
Just yesterday I tumbled upon an interesting video about cables (not sure if the cable is maybe causing your described problems…)

2 Likes

Today I went to the Apple Store to test Dorico with their external displays. We found a solution: The problem vanishes if the full view mode is selected (green button on mac windows).
So I wonder if there is some problem in Dorico’s programming, since other apps behave smoothly in both modes.
For other people with similar troubles: If you work with full view mode it is important that “displays use different spaces” (or whatever it is called in English) is activated in the system prefs, otherwise an internal display cannot be used separately.

I confirm similar very slow response, if two windows opened, one runs fine, the other very slow, if swithing to the full screen, all’s fine, but multi-window operation is gone. Looks like a bug in a graphics!?
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1011.5 KB)

Dorico is very slow to respond on my MacPro. Latest Dorico version, latest Mac OS.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (866.8 KB)

I have similar slowness issue.

When transposing notes with half steps (allow up/down) or move them with keyboard, there is almost a second of delay before that selection moves. Very annoying. If you tap several times, each step has the same delay. Full screen or not: does not matter. Filtering on/off does not matter.

But, when I transpose with mouse drag up/down, it is very fast without delay.

This is a score for (smallish) symphony orchestra with about 700 bars (30% empty) . Nothing too big.

I have
Dorico Pro 5 (latest)
12th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i5-12600K 3.70 GHz
64.0 GB 3200 MHz RAM
ASUS Geforce RTX 3080 10Gb with latest drivers
All drives are SSD M.2
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS build 19045.3930

The reason that dragging the notes up and down with the mouse is faster than going step by step with the keyboard is that you are only performing a single edit when you release the mouse button. When you use the keyboard shortcuts, each pitch you move is a discrete edit that involves all the required reprocessing.

The usual advice applies: make sure you only have one tab open, and one window. If you’ve been working with multiple tabs or windows open, close all but the one you’re working on, and then close and reopen the project. Work in galley view if you can. Switch off condensing if it’s enabled. If it’s convenient, create working layouts that contain just the subset of flows and instruments you’re working on at the moment, and do your edits in there. When you come to do large-scale edits in Setup mode (adding/removing/reordering players or flows etc.), before you begin, switch to a part layout (and make sure no other windows or layouts are shown), save, close and reopen the project, and then perform your edits.

1 Like

I was thinking about whether it would be worth having such a temporary “dragged” state for keyboard inputs also, so that visual feedback is instant, and to avoid repeated edits. But it raises a lot of questions about how this should work, and maybe using repeated inputs is the real inefficiency.

Since most such actions in Dorico require a modifier-key, maybe it would be a possibility to not commit the action until the modifier-key is released, eg if I press alt and then repeated ups or downs, it would show the modification similarly to how it’s showing currently with the mouse, with a highlighted rectangle and grey noteheads. Once alt is released, the operation will be committed.

6 Likes

Dorico 5 is running very slowly for me. Entering a note or expression, for example, takes 4-6 seconds for the screen to return to normal. This is costing me so much time. Can you help me? I am running on a 2019 Mac Pro with tons of RAM and a large SSD. Sonoma 14.3

Try using full view (green botton).

@xenophon, can you tell us more about the scope of your project? How many instruments/players, flows, and bars per flow does it have? Do you have multiple tabs or multiple windows open onto the same project? Are you using demanding third party sound libraries and plug-ins?

Interestingly, I have had a similar issues on one of my systems. On my M2 Max MacBook Pro with 32GB of RAM I am having no issues. On an older Intel iMac, also with 32GB of RAM, Dorico seems to be struggling recently.

Thank you for the reply. It is a string sextet, two flows, about 6 and 5 minutes respectively. No multiple tabs or windows open. I am using the VSL solo string libraries and the latest Symphonic Riot Articulate Presets. I use two large (24- and 30-inch) monitors. I have attached a copy of the file and a diagnostics report. I have this slowness problem with pretty much any file that is not for solo piano.
Michael
String Sextet copy 12.dorico (3.5 MB)

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (877.0 KB)

Hi @xenophon I tried your file out. I think your Playback configuration is the bottleneck here (the template with several Vienna Instruments Pro instances loaded directly into Dorico)

-I tried loading the Note Performer Template: all operations are almost instantly executed

-I tried with Note performer + NPPE (and Cinematic Studio Solo Strings): all operations are almost instantly executed

-I tried your original playback configuration (even if I don’t have your libraries, I have Vienna Instruments Pro, so the plugins where activating): all the operations are very much slowed down (2 to 3 seconds to move items for examples).

My suggestions:

1. use Note Performer or Iconica Sketch or HSO Playback templates to do the writing, and switch to your Playback configuration only at the end of writing and layouting process
  2. use Vienna Ensemble Pro to create one instance where all your Vienna Instruments Pro instruments live (so outside Dorico) and work with it.
3 Likes

Indeed, the problem is that the Articulate Map expression map you’re using has nearly 2000 switches, and after each edit, Dorico is updating the playback data for the project. The sheer number of switches in the expression map is causing the slow-down.

I’m not sure what we can do to improve the performance of Dorico when there’s such an enormous number of switches in an expression map, but for the time being I would recommend switching to a lighter playback template – as Christian suggests, NotePerformer if you have it, or otherwise one of Dorico’s factory playback templates – during your input and editing phase, and only switch to your VSL playback template when you’ve finished intensive editing and want to hear the music performed with the VSL sounds.

4 Likes

Thank you, Daniel. I am using the playback template from Symphonic Riot, and thought that this would not cause any problems of this nature. Perhaps I am using this template incorrectly. Do you know of other users that are using their product with Dorico? I will write to Kai at Symphonic Riot with this question. Since I am only writing for a string sextet, I do not understand why the Articulate Map would need so many switches…

Thank you, Christian. I have written to Symphonic Riot about this. How do I use VEP to to create one instance so that I can work with that in Dorico?