Dorico 5 for a guitarist

Dear Daniel, can you give me a good reason to switch from Dorico 4 to Dorico 5.
I don’t see many bright spots for guitarists, while 75 euros is still quite a lot of money that you want to get something in return. Now my English is not so great that I cannot follow the tour through all of Dorico 5 on YouTube very well. Wouldn’t it also be possible to write a manual in simple English that you can get by with?

What types of bright spots have you seen?

Why don’t you try the 60-day trial version and see if you can find a reason or reasons yourself? I’m not a guitarist but I think you will.

There is a “scaled back” guide called the First Steps Guide to help new users with the basics:

1 Like

You can read all of the improvements in Dorico 5.0 through 5.1 in plain English in the Version History PDF, linked here:

We haven’t worked on features specifically targeted at guitar notation in Dorico 5, so if you are really interested only in improvements to guitar notation, you can safely save your money. However, there are dozens of improvements across the whole application that are useful for all (or almost all!) Dorico users. Read the Version History PDF, and if you have any questions, feel free to come back to me.

As @DanielMuzMurray says, you can also try the 60-day trial version of Dorico 5 and take a few days to decide whether or not the new features are of value to you. You have until next Monday, 8 January, to take advantage of the discount if you decide to go ahead.

1 Like

Some of the features that come to my mind that might be useful are double tap to dotted note, follow playback toggle per window, hide specific guitar chord diagrams from summary at the beginning, improvements to MIDI editor and all of the playback improvements (including glissando playback).

… unbelievable workflow improvement

Dear Daniel, The spontaneous emails on the forum and your Version History PDF have made me decide to purchase Dorico 5.
It is also important to me that I always work with the latest version of Dorico. Kind regards, Fred Veen

2 Likes