Dorico 5 freezing while loading VSL Synchron Prime Editions instances

Hi there!
I have downloaded the 30day trial version of VSL synchron prime and now try to make it work with my Dorico 5. I downloaded all the stuff needed (VSL for Dorico etc.), got my playback template set to Synchron Prime. Dorico then sets all the instances for the instruments and…freezes…
What to do?

best,

M.

Have you tried and changed the device audio buffer? How much RAM do you have? Synchron Prime is one of the less greedy VSTi on RAM, but I think it’s still demanding

Hey Marc!
Thanks for your fast reply! Whats the “device audio buffer”? :wink:
I am on a MacBook Pro M1 with 64GB RAM and 4 TB (3 left) of ssd space. So hardwarewise I should be ok…

…and by the way: in write mode I get the desired sounds when clicking onto a note. But it does not play back the music. Weird.

When you go to the bottom of Edit menu in Write mode, you should have Audio Device Setup. There, you can set which audio card you use and which size of buffer you use.

Yes…done that. Still not working.
Hm.

Hi @Mi_Bra , could you please do from Dorico’s menu Help > Create Diagnostics Report and post the corresponding zip file here. Thanks

Hi Ulf!
Thanks for your message.
I just tried it with Noteperformers Playback engine and it´s working.
VSL produces some fine samples but it´s so sad their UX is just not right…

1 Like

Honestly, that’s weird. I think their player is one of the best as far as optimization is concerned…
My computer is nowher near yours and I can work with vsl libraries, that’s why you should send the diagnostic files to Ulf so that he can help you.

Hi Ulf!
Sorry for my late response…
Here´s the file: I finally managed to get it up and running (but still with some hissing and cracking). Thanks for all your help in advance.

Michael

p.s.: runnning with the Noteperformer playback engine Synchron Prime sounds wonderful :slight_smile:

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1,0 MB)

1 Like

I’ve sent you private message, please check.

I have a laptop with 32g RAM and can write full orchestra scores using Synchron Prime with their template, Noteperformer and/or Vienna Ensemble. I use a Focusrite 2i2 USB audio interface with a buffer size of 512. Never had a problem🙂

Me neither. Hence my post ^^

Sorry. I meant to reply to Mi_Bra.:upside_down_face:

1 Like

Thank you all for your help and inputs! I will have a chat with Ulf next week, I am sure we will find a solution…

Was there ever a solution to this? I’m having a similar issue with the VSL Special Editions - sometimes the instruments load fine when using the VSL playback templates (SE1-7), but sometimes I just get the spinning beachball and have to force close Dorico. Sometimes, if I wait a while, Dorico responds again, but the Synchron instances are empty.

Perhaps one for the VSL forums?

Macbook M1 Pro - 16Gb memory - Dorico 5.1.30.2109 - Synchron Player 1.3.1263

Thanks.

Next time you experience a freeze, take a spindump using Activity Monitor, and then zip it up and attach it here. We might be able to see what’s going on.

1 Like