Dorico 5 glissando playback

As it still is very complicated to make glissandos to play back without audible steps (I have read about the workarounds) I would like to find a way for them not to play back at all in cases.

The glissando tool does make a nice line from one notehead to another unlike the line tool where I should edit all of the lines in engrave mode.
Cannot find the option, though to make them not be heard. Is there one?
Is a better glissando coming soon?

Select your gliss lines (you can use the filter if you have a lot to do), and set the suppress playback option in the lower panel.

Thank you!

We might be in luck as Daniel himself has said that they’re looking into it. Perhaps even during the Dorico 5 release cycle though of course there are no promises.

1 Like

My new work will be for alto trombone and a string orchestra - really happy if the glissando problem will be fixed soon.
Of course nobody really needs anything else than the written music itself but it’s anyhow fun with the sounds of NotePerformer4 to get such a good presentation about the work - especially the soloist will be happy to have a better image of what the accompaniment is like.

Well, I wouldn’t myself agree that no one needs anything but the written music— for me the whole point of Dorico is to combine excellent notation which requires the minimum amount of work with the sort of playback possibilities which have helped secure Steinberg’s reputation. And indeed NotePerformer 4 has the ability not only natively but also in the Performance Engines to emulate glissandi so we just need to wait a little for Dorico to also support this.

Dear David, of course! My profession is mainly conducting and teaching of it - I studied myself already during the 70s so something like Dorico is a wonderland for us oldies!
Composing with real paper, pencils etc. was another world but I find it still useful for especially conducting students to be able to read music as much as possible directly from the score without any help from an instrument - and then use the piano to maybe play a bit directly from the score.
And I appreciate also trying to compose first in one’s head before using these excellent new methods which also give us perfect scores and parts for the musicians… For me the most important thing about first the Finale since it was “born” and then Dorico since 2018 has been the ability to produce everything myself so what I bring in front of the players has only my mistakes - nobody else’s :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know it’s not ideal, but as a workaround you can add a new voice in which you write the actual notes of the glissando you want to simulate, mute the glissando symbol playback in the properties, and hide the note heads and stems that you added for the playback (engraving mode).

1 Like

That’s right but even as things stand, you can manually create a pitch bend in the Key Editor which is probably not too dissimilar from what the team is planning, although I’m sure the end result will be smoother and easier to use. Several of us have already experimented along these lines with varying results.

1 Like

True. I tried the pitch bend effect a bit and there are possibilities in that direction, too. :+1: