I could see that being very useful. As a more general request, maybe there could be a way to designate exactly how many notes to put on each staff when entering into multiple staves. Generally speaking, when I use that (amazing) feature, I just want one note per player. But every once in a while, I wish I could put 2 notes into one of the staves. It is a rare thing for me, but if they are handling the 2+2 case, why not also handle the 1+2+1+1 case and others? This could come up on string parts with double stops.
1-A réal mix console working.
2-correction of all bugs to have a stable version
3-a library of music content (as in sibelius, it is the only think i regret from sibelius)
4-a tempo function to make a tap tempo in live as a conductor
5-a 5th and octave correction for contrepoint’s studient
6-remote control assignable for CC1,11, …
7-help with the structure: sonata plan, symphony, ternary form, binary, simple, complex: it would be practical and pedagogical
- Support for Greek letters in Academico
- Aleatoric Notation
- Possibility to set a style for the cover page(s) across projects
- Audio File(s) playback + possibility to depict spectrum and/or waveform for music with electronics
- OSC send/receive to integrate with SuperCollider
- Warnings when there are inconsistencies (like change of divisi within a system)
As a suggestion, there is already something implemented in Dorico, in the current version, which can be improved, in my opinion.
It’s “Play all chord notes when one is selected”.
With some implement (improvement) for this function, it would be possible to hear 4-way Block chords written for a BigBand…
To improve this feature, I would like to suggest a possibility to create a shortcut to enable/disable it. Also, it would be great to use the left and right keys (arrows) to be able to play a specific selection of instruments (more than one instrument, in the current version this one only plays the selected instrument).
Ricardo, I think you’re basically asking for scrub playback, which has been requested many times and which is on our list of things we plan to add in future versions.
Yes Daniel, scrub playback is the idea.
Thank you so much
Don’t know if this has been asked or not, but being able to pick a custom background color for frames (text frames especially) would be great (unless I missed something for now it’s possible for the text to have BG color but not the whole text frame, which would allow more “appealing” layouts when doing methods/instructional stuff)
You could create a graphics frame, fill it with a solid color graphic, create a text frame on top of the graphics frame, and enter the text you want:

thanks for the workaround !
Will probably use that until it’s implemented, but it might be tedious as there’s no magnetic layout for frames so getting them the same size and position takes extra steps…
Which leads me actually to the next request that is magnetic layout for frames ![]()
Size and position of frames should be editable by numeric settings in the Properties section of the lower panel.
yeah I know that, it’s just that it’s very tedious to do that for each frame versus a magnetic layout or being able to duplicate frames (like having a “duplicate” shortcut/right click for instance or just with cmd-C/cmd-v)
When you enter a note by pressing its letter name on the computer keyboard, I understand that by default Dorico puts it in the octave where it is closest to the previous note. I would suggest that this rule should be overridden if it would put the note outside the range of the instrument in question.
EDIT: maybe also if it would put the note higher than a note in a higher voice, or lower than a note in a lower voice? But I suppose it might not be clear whether one voice is “higher” than another, at any rate if there are more than two voices.
These are fun to read ![]()
I would love to have a freeze audio feature in Dorico ( DORICO freeze function? ). This would allow users to create larger compositions with larger sample libraries but keep the need down for insane amounts of RAM. Many DAW programs have this feature for that reason.
Even if it were just in the “Pro” version (which would make sense), it would be well worth the money since it could save a user from buying more hardware.
_ michael
Not sure if this has already come up somewhere: I wish the Jump Bar could switch between Setup/Write/Engrave/etc. modes as needed to execute commands. A couple times on my last project I had a note selected in Write mode, hit J, and typed “Note Spacing Change.” The option I was looking for appeared on the list in the Jump Bar (making it seem like it can do what I want it to do), but then hitting Return just does nothing. I have to switch over into Engrave mode for the Jump Bar to work for that command. Some commands do seem to be able to switch modes, others don’t. “Edit Note Spacing” does switch me to Engrave mode from Write mode, but “Input Note” does not switch me back to Write mode. Not sure what the pattern is.
On bar repeats, although it has been improved with the last version, I still stand by a request I made before : that when you’re inside a bar and click on the end bar repeat it is set by default at the end of the bar rather than where you’re at inside the bar.
Don’t know how often people use a repeat in the middle of a bar a bar but, having to my memory never seen that before I still find it frustrating to have to click the ending barline to make a repeat, selecting anywhere in the bar is much easier (make it something like alt+click instead for those who really want a repeat in the middle of a bar ? I don’t think it’s the most frequent use case).
Which leads to an other thing I’ve noticed : Dorico seems to consider the barline elements rather than the bars themselves, meaning for instance if a bar numbered B has an ending repeat barline with X repeats and I decide at some point later that B+1 will have a start repeat, I need to switch the barline from ending repeat to end/start and it doesn’t retain the X repeats I set in bar B because it’s not the bar that Dorico considers but instead the barline element, very frustrating as well.
It would be great to at least retain the former number of repeats. ![]()
Thanks !
It is extremely common in forms that start with a pickup.
I think the point is that this is an extremely archaic practice and should be avoided in modern music and that Dorico should not make it easy to place mid-measure repeats by accident. I always click on the barlines before setting repeats so I don’t really see it as a big problem, but maybe it can be off-putting to new users.
Of course, for those who are required to engrave in the style of centuries past, the capability needs to be there, but really, it is extremely confusing for musicians who normally play modern music. Every time one of those things comes up, the rehearsal has to stop so the road map can be explained. Mid-measure repeats make it look like there are extra measures, and that quickly sends the train off the tracks.
Of course you are entitled to your opinion. Others may demur. Just glance at any fakebook and you will see it is still common practice.
One of Dorico’s strengths is that it has removed the straightjacket of the barline that bedevils (all?) other notation programs.
That has never happened in my experience (and I work with pros, amateurs and kids)
Post deleted
Just for fun, I looked for an example. The first one I stumbled upon was from the Finale documentation on their mid-measure plug-in.
https://usermanuals.finalemusic.com/Finale2012Win/Content/Finale/Mid_Measure_Repeats_Plug_in.htm
The example they cited looks like notational gibberish to me.

Presumably, the music is in 4/4. After inserting the repeats, how many measures are there? Is the repeated section 6 beats or 8?
It seems to me that at minimum, if a person is going to insert repeats mid-measure, then the system should require that the repeat marks balance each other such that the repeated section represents complete measures in the current meter.
