Dorico 5 update - thoughts

First of all, thanks @dspreadbury & Dorico Team for the continuous dedication and effort of making our lives easier! There are some genius new features included in D5 that I really love!
And while I do appreciate the new features and am absolutely sure that particularly users who focus on playback will be delighted, I have to admit that I was also hoping for a few more closed gaps on the notation side of things that have been talked about for a while now and where I had the feeling that these would be tackled soon.

These are:

• ties into second endings (as addressed above already)
  • condensing staff label options (e.g. Hrn 1-4 rather than Hrn 1.2.3.4)
  • more flexibility with bracketing defaults
  • condensing of auxiliary instruments
  • that this is still the default behavior for harmonic glissandi
  • more options for dynamics (allowing msfz, ff/mf etc. without workarounds)
  • alternative chord symbols for lead sheets
  • and of course aleatoric boxes and the whole shebang of contemporary notation

And while we’re at listing things that people want, a few one from the film scoring/orchestration side of things that I would find particularly useful:

• showing tempo differences in tempo marks in relation to the previous tempo q=120 (+5) (if previous tempo was q=115)
  • 1° instead 1. for player labels
  • Tacet markings at the beginning of a score for players that don’t play in that cue and Tacet parts without needing to deactivate the players in a flow
  • condensing options that follow the convention of announcing changes in the condensing by arrows such as (see end of system)
  • long (tempo) markings avoiding to exceed the page margins in parts
  • percussion players being able to share the same instrument or differently distribute the percussion among the players in every flow

Robin

15 Likes