Dorico 5 update - thoughts

Ah, got it! :smiling_face:

B.

@dspreadbury Thanks for all your work on the update! I have two questions. Is the ability to edit condensed music (without having to jump to the gallery view) something that is on the roadmap, or is that a very difficult and complex issue that we should expect is far down the road?

Second: can you guys please fix this silly issue with all the natural harmonics not mapping correctly? This (hopefully) seems like a low-hanging error that may involve just fixing how some pitches are mapped incorrectly? or maybe that issue is much more complicated than it seems?

2 Likes

Of course it is! :slight_smile:
And that’s exactly why I had hoped that a new major version of Dorico would be the best time to hope for this :wink:

1 Like

Suppress playback.

A new Toggle Suppress Playback command has been added to the Edit category in the Key Commands page of Preferences, allowing you to toggle the Suppress playback property for the selected items using a custom keyboard shortcut, or via the jump bar.

Thank you for this! I’ve been waiting for this one!

3 Likes

Unicode U+2011 is the same hyphen than what’s used between syllables. I use it each time I need it.

3 Likes

I’ve just set up an auto-substitution (system-wide) to take \‑ and convert it to the non-breaking dash automagically.

Um… not to me, and not something I will ever try with my wife. LOL.

3 Likes

same here-- except on a Wednesday I sing in one. Hope you enjoyed the break, anyway

1 Like

I was hoping for fermata and ornament playback but I’ll take group editing midi triggers. Neither of which were on my radar but will be useful.

Happy to support Daniel and Dorico knowing that they’ll get to most of what we want eventually.
(though I expect doing midi note entry where a note number increase increases a step in microtonal tunings is pretty far down the list and may not happen)

I’d love to see a poll on what features users want, wonder if we could vote in our favourites!

3 Likes

Can you be specific on how to do that?

Alt shift space gives you a nonbreaking space, and alt hyphen gives you a non-breaking hyphen. I usually do maybe three spaces, then the hyphen.

1 Like

Oh, I thought I’d mentioned that in my post. That leaves you with a too-large hyphen.

Doesn’t do that for me. My font of choice is Minion Pro; the regular hyphen and the non-breaking hyphen are identical.

1 Like

That’s odd. I am too.
Screen Shot 2023-05-24 at 5.30.20 PM

OK, as I think about it, I may have long ago edited the font to make the two glyphs match. It’s actually easily done and saves a lot of hassle.

Sorry to lead you astray!

Since you mentioned Minion Pro, I’d love the ability to save preferred enclosure spacing/border style (I like the rounded rectangle) as part of a paragraph style. I’ve done this for rehearsal letters, since the default spacing on Minion Pro isn’t centered, and I’d love to have this similarly saved for system text as well.

I’m really looking forward to try this update, so many new useful features.
Just a question, is it still impossible to import an audio file without the dummy video workaround?

This is something I’d love to have, audio tracks (or at least import a single audio track) and a sort of synchronisation with a daw (Ableton link or similar)

Thanks for your work

5 Likes

At least on Mac that gets you a “medium hyphen”. It’s slightly more.

` - – —are all available by key combos, but not the non-breaking, unless you do something special.

Yes, as I mentioned above, I think I edited Minion Pro to make the non-breaking hyphen Unicode glyph the same as the standard hyphen. Sorry.

1 Like

The Dorico team does a great job: Once a feature is implemented, it perfectly fits and just works. This implies, that sometimes a requested feature has to wait, until it’s the right time to be implemented.

I’m aware, that “disappointment” isn’t a word somebody wants to hear after presenting a release, where so much efforts have been put into it and my use of it was unfair: It was just about my personal expectation about one special feature, I’d hoped it would make it into the new release. But not upgrading hasn’t been an option. It’s great to see Dorico evolve with every release and I’m very confident, that every reasonable feature request will make it into it, when it’s time for it.

4 Likes