Dorico 5 will not load (MacOS) - invalid QML element type?

Just downloaded, which I couldn’t do through Steinberg Download Assistant (it couldn’t see the internet connection).

When I open Dorico it crashes.
Then when I click Reopen, it automatically opens a terminal window (I’ve never seen that before!) which is telling me:

The default interactive shell is now zsh.
To update your account to use zsh, please run chsh -s /bin/zsh.
For more details, please visit Use zsh as the default shell on your Mac - Apple Support.

And then a list of complaints all along the lines of

qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name “AutomationType”; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter

I will try what it says but would like to know if others are having this problem.

System details:
2013 MacBook Pro
MacOS 11.6.8

UPDATE - my default shell is now ZSH according to Terminal… but Dorico 5 is still crashing on open. The same problems are coming up in the Terminal window.

I deleted D5 and reinstalled using the Download Assistant (I don’t know why that started working. But same problem. Crashing on launch, Terminal describes many problems with something not having lowercase letters.

Edit: (Mac OS 11.xx is not supported anymore:) my wrong information.
Here the requirements:

I am using MacOS 11.7.7 (Big Sur) and have had no problems with Dorico 5.

Sorry to hear about this, Alex. Could you please zip up the contents of /Users/your-username/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Dorico 5 and also find all files with names beginning with Dorico 5 in /Users/your-username/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports and attach them here so we can take a look?

Dorico should be fine on macOS 11, by the way. It is supported on that version.

1 Like

You might have been thinking of 10.11.x. I double checked to be sure! Honestly I’m amazed my geriatric laptop can run Big Sur

Thanks Daniel

I zipped my Dorico 5 library folder but it’s too large to attach here.
Link to zip file on my drive: Dorico 5.zip - Google Drive

Here are all the Dorico 5 diagnostic reports from the logs

Archive.zip (604.7 KB)

Hope I can get this working soon. Thanks for your help!

Thanks for these logs, Alex. It looks like the new hardware accelerated graphics that the Qt framework is using aren’t very happy on your Mac. Could you please make an Apple System Report and zip that up to attach it here? You say your laptop is geriatric – how geriatric is it exactly?

It might also be worth opening a Terminal window, and pasting in this command:

env QSG_RHI_PREFER_SOFTWARE_RENDERER=1

Now see if Dorico 5 is able to run all the way up to the Hub.

Alex’s MacBook Pro.zip (439.6 KB)

I ran this command, but had no more luck in getting Dorico 5 to open the Hub.

Completely forgot to mention: the first time I opened after downloading, it DID open the Hub! But when I tried to open a file from v4.3, Dorico crashed and and won’t open.

Here is what the Terminal tells me when it is trying to load:

The default interactive shell is now zsh.

To update your account to use zsh, please run chsh -s /bin/zsh.

For more details, please visit Use zsh as the default shell on your Mac - Apple Support.

Alexs-MacBook-Pro-2:~ alexeddington$ /Applications/Dorico\ 5.app/Contents/MacOS/Dorico\ 5 ; exit;

qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name “AutomationType”; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter

qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name “PlayModeInstrumentCharacter”; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter

qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name “PlayModeViewDuration”; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter

qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name “GridResolution”; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter

qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name “NoteDragPosition”; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter

qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name “ActiveRegion”; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter

qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name “MouseMode”; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter

qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name “DragMode”; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter

qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name “AutomationTransformDragMode”; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter

qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name “HistogramDragMode”; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter

qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name “AutomationTransformTarget”; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter

qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name “MixerChannelType”; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter

qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name “MouseCursorShape”; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter

qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name “VelocityEditorToolScope”; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter

qml: stop spinner

QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout “” to Steinberg::Steam::ScriptConsole “ScriptConsole”, which already has a layout

Bus error: 10

logout

Saving session…

…copying shared history…

…saving history…truncating history files…

…completed.

[Process completed]

I have got Dorico 5 running on my “other” computer (MacBook Air) so that’s good.

Mid-2014 MacBook Pro

Right, so your Mac has a particular graphics adaptor, the Intel HD5000, that appears to have a bug in its Metal driver and which causes Dorico to crash.

The thing I asked you to try earlier on in the Terminal wasn’t quite right: it needs to be followed directly by the command to run Dorico itself, which looks like this:

env QSG_RHI_BACKEND=”opengl” /Applications/Dorico\ 5.app/Contents/MacOS/Dorico\ 5

Try pasting that into the Terminal and see if that allows Dorico to run.

Thanks Daniel. I’ll try this when I’m home this evening and let you know.

Hi!

Another mid-2014 Macbook Pro user here.
I have exactly the same problem and this is the output after the env QSG_RHI_BACKEND=”opengl” /Applications/Dorico\ 5.app/Contents/MacOS/Dorico\ 5 command:

qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "PlayModeInstrumentCharacter"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "PlayModeViewDuration"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "GridResolution"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "NoteDragPosition"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "ActiveRegion"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "MouseMode"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "DragMode"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "AutomationTransformDragMode"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "HistogramDragMode"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "AutomationTransformTarget"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "MixerChannelType"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "MouseCursorShape"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "VelocityEditorToolScope"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
Unknown key "”opengl”" for QSG_RHI_BACKEND, falling back to default backend.
qml: stop spinner
QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to Steinberg::Steam::ScriptConsole "ScriptConsole", which already has a layout

So the problem persists. I bought Dorico yesterday and still haven’t had the chance to try it!

Thank you,
Daniele

Welcome to the forum, @danieledevirgilio. Sorry that you’re running into this problem!

If you’re brand new to Dorico, you could try running Dorico 4 on your Mac to see whether that runs OK (I expect it will) – your Dorico 5 license also covers Dorico 4.

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the super quick reply! I installed Dorico 4, and I have the following error when launching it:

qrc:/Dorico/Hub/HubOpenRecent.qml:91:5: QML Connections: Detected function "onModelTypeChanged" in Connections element. This is probably intended to be a signal handler but no signal of the target matches the name.
qrc:/Dorico/Controls/EnumButton.qml:61:9: Unable to assign [undefined] to int

Which forces me to quit the application.
But I can open a new topic for this, since this one is about D 5.

Thank you!
Daniele

Where are you seeing these errors, Daniele? You don’t need to try to run Dorico 4 in the same way as Dorico 5 from the Terminal: simply running it by double-clicking in the Applications folder should be sufficient.

Hi Daniel -

so I ran the earlier command prompt followed by this one. Dorico 5 attempted to open (without my needing to double click) but crashed similarly to before.

What might my next steps be?

Thank you for your help!