Dorico 5?

Perhaps, but that is increasingly what users will demand. The technology is there.

5 Likes

@trumpetjazz,
If you need a high-end library for jazz brass instruments, then worth to look at
https://www.orchestraltools.com/store/collections/big-band-horns

There is an Expression Maps set for the Duplex Saxophones by @FredGUnn, here:

Another good sounding jazz brass instruments are those:
http://chrishein.net/horns-complete.html

Most probably those libraries will fit your needs, as they are jazz oriented. Youā€™ll be able to apply the swing playback without any issues.

Best wishes,
Thurisaz :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Except it isnā€™t ( why else would there be so many threads about playback shortcomings?)

1 Like

Hi @dan_kreider and @Janus,

I completely agree with Dan on his statement. Nowadays we are having tons of amazing sounding libraries, we should be able to use them in a Scoring Software like Dorico in their full potential.
Very often film music composers relate only on the VIs due to low budget that doesnā€™t allow hiring of live musicians. I know that Cubase is there for film scoring, but for me Dorico is far more intuitive and powerful tool for composing, arranging and orchestrating music. :slight_smile:

Janus, weā€™ll see what NotePerformer 4 will bring to the worldā€¦ Staffpad already has the needed playback technology. Actually currently Staffpad has the best sounds out thereā€¦ :slight_smile:

Best wishes,
Thurisaz

Very well: ā€œusers perceive that the technological barriers are no longer insurmountable as they once were, and nobody audiates anymore, so users will increasingly clamor for it.ā€

2 Likes

Personally, Iā€™d never expect playback to replicate my inner ear. But perhaps thatā€™s just a reflection of my classical background, where there must always be space for the performer to interpret.

Well, nothing can compare with the live performance and the personal interpretation of every musician, no doubt.
But keep in mind that writing a concert music (where the flavor that every musician adds to the piece is of key importance) and writing film music (where the music should be the soul of the scene) are completely different processes. The second one very rarely allows session musicians to make any interpretations. Well, if you are someone like Hans Zimmer, who can afford to hire the worldā€™s best musicians for scoring a movie, then he will even allow them to not only do interpretations, but improvisations, too.
So, most probably the technology would never be able to replicate the concert music, but most of the times it fits the film and multimedia needs. :slight_smile:

Best wishes,
Thurisaz :slight_smile:

one issue is that even composers of concert (ie: ā€œclassicalā€) music are more and more being asked to supply convincing demos when they submit works to orchestras.
And the more convincing the demo, the higher your chances.

Orchestra boards and conductors are becoming lazy and canā€™t be bothered to just read a score these days.

1 Like

Heh, I spent some time on these, but donā€™t use them myself as they sound like kazoos, LOL!

NP is completely unusable for jazz IMO. All of the phrasing is just totally wrong.

As primarily a saxophonist myself Iā€™m biased, but Iā€™ve never heard anything from any library that is really usable for saxophones. Personally, I use SWAM, but the Altos are particularly crummy IMO. The Bari is probably the best of the bunch, like this fake Harry Carney playing ā€œAgraā€ straight out of Dorico with no MIDI editing at all:

Halion saxes are pretty terrible. The Soprano Sax in the default Playback Template is particularly awful as the ā€œSoulful Soprano Saxā€ has a delay programmed into it. The delay has to be manually eliminated or itā€™s obviously unusable.

I do think the Ample Sound Bass Upright is pretty impressive if you need a jazz bass.

1 Like

NPā€™s suitability for jazz, while not great, can sound good in the right type of puece. I wrote a traditional- style big band piece using Doricoā€™s swing function and jazz articulations. I got a not perfect, certainly, but quite acceptable result- Better than i could have with my Chris Hein Horns, for example. Surely :crossed_fingers: the days of ā€˜movie score qualityā€™ sounds for notation programs are not too far away?

The biggest problem with NP for jazz is that its AI has no idea how to phrase like a jazz musician. NP has to have all the slurs written in or it assumes everything is articulated. Sure, high school level arrangements often have the slurs written in as the arranger canā€™t assume the players understand the phrasing, but at a pro level these slurs are often just unnecessary clutter that only serve to slow down sightreading, so they are usually omitted in a typical pro level swing arrangements.

Hereā€™s Benny Carterā€™s great 4-part sax soli on Iā€™m Coming Virginia:

Hereā€™s NPā€™s rendition playing Bennyā€™s parts straight out of Dorico without any MIDI editing:

Hereā€™s SWAM playing the exact same thing straight out of Dorico without any MIDI editing using my maps:

Obviously SWAM isnā€™t great either, but NP is simply unusable IMO. Obviously, NP is pretty remarkable at classical interpretation so it would be amazing to have a jazz AI engine as an option in the next NP version.

3 Likes

Instead of more AI or deeper samples I think what vendors are missing is just simply good plugins. With present day technology AI will fail spectacularly when it fails. With libraries most vendors provide deep samples and honestly poor plugins.

Ivory is an example of one that gets both right - great samples and a really deep plugin which works beautifully. The result is a library which always sounds good. Even with the humanizing NP canā€™t remotely touch Ivory, which isnā€™t AI humanized.

There is an easy fix to the Expression Map to make everything legato: find the Natural expression and change CC19 0 to 1.

2 Likes

I assume you could also manually write that CC data in the CC -line? Jazz parts typically also have lot of things that are not legato, I was wondering if those will be affected if legato is always on?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Dorico 5 wishlist

I honestly had never edited the NP map as I thought it was supposed to be left alone to let NP work its magic. Itā€™s obviously now too legato, but itā€™s not too bad if I also change the legato notes setting to 90% and dial back the reverb.

2 Likes

Itā€™s tough right? Might be my saxophone bias as well, but articulation and legato sounds miserable in these libraries. Tonguing is almost always too harsh and the consistency of tone note-to-note is terrible in every library Iā€™ve tried.

Weā€™re (saxophonists) to blame of courseā€”but for the best of reasons. Since thereā€™s little standard in what is an ideal sax sound, thereā€™s no way to capture an archetypal sound. The best we can do is get sounds from pinnacle studio players. But itā€™ll never match my own sound or come super close to what I really want it to sound like. Itā€™d be nice too if the high-end libraries would pull in jazz players for jazz sounds too, instead of classical folks who have a competent jazz sound. Berlin for instance, still sounds super classical, even on the hot settings. Of course, it could be the programming. Maybe the sampled players are jazz beasts. Just doesnā€™t seem like itā€¦

2 Likes

Huhā€¦that is a lot better.

Another thing you can do, rather than modify the NP Expression Map, is use the legato playing technique where you would have put the slurs, and then hide the playing technique text. That way you can have articulated notes where you need them, and legato notes where you need them. I canā€™t remember if the legato playing technique is already there or if you have to create it, but creating it if it isnā€™t there is easy, of course.

Yeah, definitely! I donā€™t know all the guys that recorded Broadway Big Band, but Chris Karlic on Bari and Rafi Malkiel on Trombone certainly have great sounds. Unfortunately most libraries donā€™t hire top-level jazz players, so in general the sounds are very generic and devoid of any personality. It would take a lot of $$$, but it would be cool if some company actually took a working big band and recorded all the individual players. The marketing/branding deal would have to be substantial obviously for a big name artist, but would have the potential to be very cool.

(Iā€™m completely biased of course, but if any VI developer reads this, the Christian McBride Big Band would be a great choice. Weā€™ve won 3 Grammys for Best Large Jazz Ensemble, McB has a bunch more plus has the ā€œbig nameā€ appeal, all of us in the sax section have different sounds, weā€™ve got one of the baddest lead trumpet players on the planet, etc.)

2 Likes