Dorico and MIDI record

hey guys I ran into several issues I couldn’t found any reference for help online

I recorded MIDI track on a piano, quantized it and imported onto Dorico.
So some of those problems are:

1. I get a lot of doubled (duplicate) midi notes, is there a way to remove duplicates like on Cubase? this is gonna save me hours!
  2. I renamed the insturment from Keyscape 01 to “Piano” on the setup page but the score still shows the name of the instrument are “Keyscape 01”
    how do I change it on the sheet and is there a way to remove instrument indications altogether?
  3. some midi articulations such as staccato or pedal were picked up and I don’t want them on my score. Is there are way for instance to delete all pedal marking instead of selecting one after one? Thanks!
  4. the most important thing actually, is how the notes are written. How do I connect/disconnect tied notes? I just pushed down a note to a lower staff and it is still connected to other notes on the upper staff. Sometimes I’d like 1/8 notes to not be connected. How to alter those settings? couldn’t find

Much thanks!! I’m a new user

Not in one shot. But I wonder why you’re getting that result…

1. I renamed the insturment from Keyscape 01 to “Piano” on the setup page but the score still shows the name of the instrument are “Keyscape 01”
    how do I change it on the sheet and is there a way to remove instrument indications altogether?

Right-click on the instrument (not the player), and click “Edit names.”

1. some midi articulations such as staccato or pedal were picked up and I don’t want them on my score. Is there are way for instance to delete all pedal marking instead of selecting one after one? Thanks!

Yes, click on one and use the “Select More” feature. Or use the filter. To remove all articulations, select all notes, then press the articulation key once to add to all, then again to remove from all.

1. the most important thing actually, is how the notes are written. How do I connect/disconnect tied notes? I just pushed down a note to a lower staff and it is still connected to other notes on the upper staff. Sometimes I’d like 1/8 notes to not be connected. How to alter those settings? couldn’t find

Use Alt-M and Alt-N to actually move notes to a different staff, rather than cross-staff beaming (M and N).

To remove a tie, select any note in the tie chain and press U.

I had this issue with doubled midi notes and it was caused by the masterkeyboard I used (workstation in combi-mode). It was sending on two channels simultaneously and the recording track in Logic was set to receive on all channels.
Just an idea, maybe you take a look at your sequences in the event-list in Cubase and see if all notes are doubled on a different channel.

I missed another part of your question. In Layout Options, staves and Systems, you can choose to not show staff labels. Although you generally want to show these for the score and hide them for the parts, which is the default. You may be viewing the full score, when perhaps the layout you want to use is the piano part layout.

guys you have been a blast thanks for all the help. and bobmusic this is exactly what happened, I just noticed…apparently Montage transmitted on like 3 channels! I followed another advice and quantized all midi notes on Cubase to the tiniest value then “remove doubles” did work. So uploading it now to Dorico it’s a charm. Now instead of 6 hours of work I have maybe 1 :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks again, Darkreider… and since it’s solo piano I didn’t want any indications, it’s quite clear from it being Ragtime and one grand staff so :stuck_out_tongue: haha

Oh btw removing ties by pressing U doesn’t work. Nor do I found out how to connect notes e.g I have 2 single notes of 1/8 that I’d want to connect, on Sibelius it was way easier since the keypad had those settings :confused:

Great , so you fixed a bunch of problems in Cubase already!

Chummy, U works as long as you’re in Write mode. Can you demonstrate a situation in which you’re finding it doesn’t work?

Chummy,

For connecting eighth notes, you can look at Notation Options / Beam Groupings to set the beaming of all eighth notes. You can also control beaming individually by right clicking a note with the mouse and choose an option from the Beaming drop down menu.

Thank you so much, I just finished transcribing my first piece using Dorico. It’s been great and I have some moments of frustration but hell now that I know what I know it’s going to be a breeze. Halving note values together with the “insert” feature, is just a HUGE feature that instantly made me love this program. Had to make a 4/4 recording of my MIDI playing into 2/4. I’d imagine instead of 2 hours (and that was even my first time while still figuring out stuff!) it would take days on Sibelius if not weeks.

Also, right now I’m think maybe my system detects the “1 month full PRO license” until I am downgraded into Elements (not sure though!) which is what I paid for essentially. I’m not sure which license I’m on but I do see 2 musical fonts, the regular one “Bavura” and “Petaluma”. I REALLY hope the second one, Petaluma doesn’t go away any time soon if I am indeed using PRO right now. It’s just so good, one of the best fonts I’ve seen. The default one is really not to my liking, sorry guys. The engraving feature of choosing space (mm) between staves/systems and number of systems per page is still there right? again I’m asking cause I’m not sure what I’m running on at the moment. Those features are really essential to me … :slight_smile:

Other than that I don’t mind the 12 instrument limit at all and I don’t need any more music fonts or fancy stuff other than what I already have access to… pretty basic.

The Petulama font itself is effectively public domain (as in Bravura) so that isn’t a problem.

The issue is whether Dorico Elements will let you change the music font. This comparison Compare the Versions of Dorico: Elements & Pro | Steinberg suggests that you can’t do that. In Pro, you select fonts in Engrave mode, which Elements doesn’t have.

Browse through the rest of that feature comparison, to make sure you won’t get any other bad surprises with Elements.

If you say that both fonts are public domain it is really strange indeed… Why would I be charged by Steinberg to use a font they haven’t created, and is featured on their software while being a freeware… It’s like not being able to use free 3rd party VSTs on Cubase Elements unless paying… Steinberg? can’t see any logic. I mean assuming I do have PRO activated for a month, I can only see two fonts visible which is even stranger. I would assume PRO would let you choose dozens of fonts, most likey some of which are “exclusive” to Dorico or at least “paid” stuff that isn’t public domain. Of course I could be running on Elements right now too (then I have access to 2 fonts only and not being able to use “custom ones”), which in turn makes total sense to me… but I wouldn’t know I guess unless someone would tell me how can I check my Dorico version

BTW note that I never downloaded any PRO trial/demo or anything. I just used the DL link that activated with Elements and copied the ELicenseer number to my hard USB stick (that I got from the store when I bought Cubase Pro)

Update: I did check control center and it says I have 11 hours left on an “ALL APPLICATIONS” license whatever that means. Not sure what is going to be different if anything after this “All Applications” thing is done and I got my normal “Full license”

Those fonts may be publicly available, but they were still designed by the Steinberg team over a period of several years.

Designing a comprehensive music font is a staggering task. There are indeed other options available out there. You could check out Abraham Lee’s site, Music Type Foundry.

If you’re not familiar with SMuFL, you should read up on it. https://www.smufl.org

The Bravura font happens to be the standard music font in Dorico, and it was created by the product manager of the Dorico team, but it is free to use in other applications under the terms of the SIL Open Font Licence - see https://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=ofl.

It is being used in open source notation software apps, including MuseScore and Lilypond.

I don’t understand what you are saying there. Steinberg (or at least one of its employees) did create it, and Steinberg don’t explicitly charge you to use it. They charge you to use the whole of Dorico Elements, not the font!

But if Steinberg choose to market an entry-level version of software which doesn’t have the option of using any fonts except for a fixed (small) selection, while the full version can use ANY compatible font (and most of the alternative music fonts not created by Steinberg are NOT free!) they are perfectly within their rights to do that.

That is certainly true, but does Dorico Elements have the option to change the music font? Looking at the comparison between Elements and Pro on the Steinberg website seems to imply that it doesn’t - but I don’t have Elements, so I can’t check myself.

If you currently have access to Dorico Pro, start a new project, set the font to Petaluma and save the project somewhere safe. Then, when your all-Steinberg-software trial runs out, you can use your existing Petaluma-based project as a template.

Steinberg aren’t charging you for the font. They’re massively discounting for Elements, and they have to draw a line somewhere in terms of reducing functionality. One of the ways they’ve done that is by disabling Engrave mode and thus the Engrave menu.

Dorico Elements does provide the option to change the music font: Edit > Music Fonts in Elements (in the Engrave menu in Pro).