Dorico and ReWire?

Does Dorico not support ReWire?

Im sad to see if this is the case, because I will have to go back to Sibelius again, and I paid for Dorico to avoid that :frowning:

1 Like

For the time being, thereā€™s no ReWire support, nor any form of sync built-in. Some users have found partial solutions using MIDI or VSTs, or just loading audio as a video into Dorico.

K, thanks.

Iā€™ll look into your solution, but due to the time frame, I donā€™t think that will work for me for this film. I need to be able to compose a hybrid score for a film and print out the acoustic instrument parts pretty swiftly in sync from the time code. Exporting and loading midi, and back again to print parts seems like a little more of a headache that rewiring Sibelius, so Iā€™ll have to do that for now.

Thanks though,
A

Iā€™m curious how well Sib+X rewired together works for you. Just because for me I never got Sib and anything to lock up very well. Good to know if there is a world where it works perfectly. When I ask for rewire on Dorico, I qualify it as a ā€œworking rewireā€ with no glitches.

I never got it work work well with Cubase, if thatā€™s what your asking. I used to rewire Reason into Cubase 4, and then 5, which worked to some degree. I have had every Cubase upgrade since then, but after Cubase 10.5, I gave up with the glitches and crashes and defected to Logic. Logic works really well with rewire and even remembers your routing setup, which Cubase couldnā€™t do even if you saved your settings. So, no, I wouldnā€™t recommend Cubase for anything really, but I was hoping I could at least rewire Dorico into Logic.

Old topic, I know, but hereā€™s the best answer I know: ReWire is long depreciated code but Finale, Notion and Sibelius still install the necessary components for it to work with a compatible slave app. Dorico does not.

On a Mac, apps do not have to support RW if they can use CoreAudio as a bridge. Digital Performer is one that does but, because itā€™s depending on CoreAudio, this works on a Mac Only. Logic, Main Stage and GarageBand all support RW directly meaning they can be Master or Slave but these are Apple apps so again, Mac only.

Even though Iā€™ve had Dorico since 2.0, Finale 27 to Digital Performer 11.02 saves me a lot of time.

I have no idea what Windows users are doing.

To get core-audio like properties on windows Iā€™ve been using:
ASIOLinkPro.

Sadly itā€™s no longer supported that I know of, but is free, extremely well coded. Itā€™s working very stable in Windows 10. Who knows what Windows 11 and beyond will holdā€¦hopefully it will continue to work there.

A similar thing exists for windows (ported from the unix/linux world, open source, so technically still ā€˜supportedā€™) called JACK. Itā€™s a bit more confusing to set it all up (though the UIs for it improve and get easier to use with subsequent releases).

One can either use a device that includes native ASIO drivers, or if WDM drivers need to be in the picture bridge it with something like ASIO4ALL. JACK does many if not all of the same things as ASIO LINK Pro provided everything one needs to route is in the ASIO realm. There are probably ways to get non ASIO apps into the routing matrix as well by bolting on virtual audio cables and such via ASIO4ALL.

For the MIDI side, Iā€™ve been using loopMIDI and/or rtpMIDI.

Itā€™s also possible to use a free VST plugin called ReaStream to stream audio from one app to another. If you have something like Bidule as well, one can also use it pipe MIDI from a given Dorico end point to another VST host. I.E. One could load an instance of ReaStream into a mixer insert in Dorico, and bring some other app into the Dorico Mixer. It could also be used to SEND the Dorico mains out to some other VST host.

Thereā€™s still a problem in terms of Dorcio. It does not provide a sync signal of any protocol. It cannot be a slave, nor can it be a Master on its own.

One method that can work is to use a SMPTE/LTC stripe on one of the audio channels of the Dorico video player. This method makes Dorico the master transportā€¦and it also requires some sort of LTC to MTC/MMC/MIDI Clock conversion for whatever the slave hosts require to sync up with Dorico.

Dorico doesnā€™t provide a time code that I know of. It doesnā€™t keep plugins updated yet on things like tempo, song position, time signature, key, etcā€¦but it does provide an ASIO sample count to hosted plugins. This can be enough to trigger events in a plugin with very high precision. Someone proficient in coding plugins might could even come up with something that could generate MTC to slave up other hosts.

Iā€™ve also been successful in using Bidule within Dorico, which uses the ASIO sample count (I must manually tell it one time which sample to start the sync signal) to trigger an 8bit SMPTE stripe in a wav file. An old Anatek SMPTE to MTC box that I had laying around provides the MIDI/MTC signal needed to keep the Cubase transport locked up with Dorico. While this isnā€™t a ā€˜perfect syncā€™, itā€™s pretty darn good, and easily enough to work around in a score, and the Cubase transport stays pretty well locked with what ever Dorico is doing.

2 Likes