DORICO AND VSL

Hello
I have a few questions for you :

• Is Dorico going to be compatible with Vienna Symphonic Library and MIR Pro ?
  • I have read that Dorico will have 8 articulations changes ! did I misread ? VSL can have more than 32 articulations for one instrument i.e. Solo Violin
  • Will you handle Dimension String and Dimension Brass ? (you can select the number of players…)
  • Is the interface between Dorico and VSL is editable by the user ?

Best

Cyril

Is Dorico going to be compatible with Vienna Symphonic Library and MIR Pro ?

Yes, you can use VSL and MIR Pro with Dorico.

I have read that Dorico will have 8 articulations changes ! did I misread ? VSL can have more than 32 articulations for one instrument i.e. Solo Violin

Dorico’s definition of articulation is the narrow, music theory one (staccato, tenuto, staccato-tenuto, staccatissimo, accent, marcato, stress, unstress) but of course there are a great many other playing techniques that people (especially sample library developers) informally call articulations. Dorico calls these playing techinques and has a built-in library of more than 220 of them, all of which will, eventually, be able to be mapped onto specific playback effects by way of VST Expression Maps.

Will you handle Dimension String and Dimension Brass ? (you can select the number of players…)

Probably not in the very near term, but our concept of solo vs. section players is intended to allow you to choose between patches that provide solo and ensemble sounds, and also we have the concept of how many players are in a section, but not all of these concepts are fully realised yet in the software. It is only the very first version, remember.

Is the interface between Dorico and VSL is editable by the user ?

It will be. You will be able to set up a playback template that uses Expression Maps to determine how your score should be played back by VSL. Everything is at a very early stage in the first release but we have big plans in this area and we will be working hard to improve playback in each release as quickly as we can.