Dorico application names/credentials

I use the 3Dconnexion keyboard/mouse/numpad because of the world class macro and control capability being better than any I’ve ever used. However there’s a problem with upgrading major versions in that all the macros are lost, as it ties those to Dorico 4 and not Dorico 5. Here’s the configuration screen for the keyboard

You can see it says Dorico5, not “Dorico 5” which looks to be taken from the application name

Looking at the props

we can see it’s all referenced to Dorico base, with the version information properly in the properties.

My question is whether it is really necessary to change the filename? Most of the time I believe apps keep that information in the props only, as I don’t know any reason why the filename needs to change, and can cause issues with other applications as we see here. The rest of Windows doesn’t need it, the Start menu picks the proper “Dorico 5” name from somewhere, and the Task Manager picks the base name

Is the Dorico5 support file located in one of the Dorico 4 support folders rather than within the Dorico 5 folder set? I know I had to transfer/copy one of my user-created folder into 5 from 4 to reinstate some custom work I had done and wonder if this is a similar situation.

1 Like

I’m checking with 3dx on this so don’t know for sure, but I kind of doubt it. The app works with any running application and AFAIK simply plucks out the executable instance name. You can export/import the macro settings but unfortunately it encodes the name into a binary file.