Dorico constantly crashes

Hi!

So Dorico crashes a lot whenever I have two different project files open at the same time. It doesn’t matter which files they are, or if they have some music in it or are empty, as soon as I open two at the same time, it lets me do maybe 1-2 clicks and then stops responding. Then I force quit, open it up again, it asks if it should recover files, I say yes and the whole thing happens again.

Working with one file open works most of the time, tho sometimes it too crashes, but I don’t remember what have been the exact causes. A few times it happened every time I deleted a chord from Project Default Appearances list.

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (2.1 MB)

Hi Ronja,
welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your trouble.
The diagnostics contain several crash files of Dorico as well as from it’s audio engine. The audio engine crashes are always within HALion Sonic SE, of which you have version 3.4.0 installed. Would you please go to HALion Sonic SE 3 updates and downloads | Steinberg and get the latest 3.4.30 version and see if that runs any better with you?
Regarding the Dorico crashes, someone from the London team needs to have a look.

Hi,

I deleted and reinstalled Dorico and the whole sound package that comes with it. When I open Dorico, it still tells me that some Halion SE sounds are missing. I feel there is something wrong with the directory of the sound files, but I just can’t figure it out.

Sorry, but why did you not just do what I told?
In that case you need to also run the installer for the sound content package again. I hope you have it still around, otherwise you need to redownload that 9 GB worth of data.

I absolutely did that, but it didn’t fix anything, when opening Dorico it still said the sounds were missing. Then I uninstalled Dorico and the HALion package I previously downloaded from the link you gave, then re-downloaded and installed both Dorico and sound content package from the Steinberg Download Assistant, but the sounds are still somehow missing, or at least Dorico is not finding them. They are not showing up in the Library Manager too, though I think they should?

The sound content package, did you download and let the installer run for it? Of course, the sounds shall appear in the Library Manager. If they don’t, no wonder that Dorico complains about missing things. Maybe we should have a remote screen sharing session so we can walk through. If you agree, please send me a private message and we’ll arrange. Thanks

Regarding the Dorico crashes, it looks like Dorico is often crashing when you try to edit a chord symbol. I guess this problem might be isolated to a particular project. Could you please attach the project here, together with the steps required to reproduce the problem, so we can take a look? Thanks!

Hello! I might be having the same issue. Whenever I open a second Dorico file, as soon as I edit something (not necessarily a chord symbol - I think it was modifying the drum kit in the Setup tab), both will hang (not responding).
I’m pretty sure I have the latest HALion Sonic SE 3 (all installed April 2022)…

@tsharli Don’t just guess - check. Find the Steinberg button in the top right hand corner and select About. You will see this sort of screen.

And please choose in Dorico the menu item Help > Create Diagnostics Report and post the corresponding zip file here. Thanks

Ah yes, I didn’t think to open that up separately:

So of course, now that I’ve posted about it, it’s not happening. :laughing: I’ll report back if it does!

Please send a report anyway because it contains the logs of the last 10 runs.

File’s too big - I’ll send it to you.

Hi @tsharli , thank you very much but I need slightly different data. May I ask you for the following?
Please get the free tool Process Explorer which you can get from here.
When Dorico is not responding again, please run that tool and look for the Dorico and VSTAudioEngine process. Then highlight one of them, do a right-clicka and choose Create Dump > Create Minidump. Please do this twice for Dorico and the VSTAudioEngine process and send me the corresponding data. Thank you very much

Hi Ulf,
Ok, I have the Process Explorer tool now and will send mini dumps if/when it happens!
Cheers,

Charlie

Hi Ulf,

(Attachment 8Sep2022minidumps.zip is missing)

Hi @tsharli , something went wrong with the attachment, it is missing. Please do again.

Yeah, the zip file was too big (about 8MB). Can I get it to you another way?

You can send it via e-mail to me: u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de
Or use some file sharing service like e.g. DropBox and post a download link.