Dorico crashed, lost 40 minutes edits

I am experiencing a lot of crashes with no losses (because I save all the time). I have finished a vocal score (some 70 pages) and I am fine tuning each page and exporting to pdf. I just scroll through the score in Engrave mode and Dorico quits unexpectedly, but no message and no crash log (I checked in ~/Library/Logs/Diagnostic reports)
Is this something worth opening a new thread ?

It would be very useful if you could make a screen recording of yourself making these edits to try to catch one of these crashes in the act. If you’re able to, please then send me (e.g. via WeTransfer rather than by email since I expect the files will be rather large) the screen recording, the application.log file from ~/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Dorico, and the project, so we can try to reproduce it.

I just spent half an hour trying to have the same problem with that file, with no (bad) luck… I suppose the crashes are not caused by Dorico, but by a conjunction of apps opened at the same time, which makes Dorico crash.
Anyway, now that I know it could be useful to you, if it ever happens again, I will try and capture it. By the way, would you recommend me any free app for screen capturing ?

On Mac, you can use QuickTIme Player to make a screen recording. We use Screenflow for our tutorial videos (though it’s definitely not free!) and I personally am a fan of iShowU, which is a fair bit cheaper than Screenflow but does many of the same jobs.

Finale’s autosave is also flaky and limited. On the Mac, I use ForeverSave 2, which implements auto-save and versioning for any application. You can specify the save interval and how many versions are saved for each app. I dare say there’s a similar app for Windows.

As with so many feature requests, it’s often something that can be done better from outside the program, instead of every app implementing its own attempt at the same function.

I just used OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) for the first time yesterday, to record what was going on on my screen. It’s free, works on Mac/Windows/Linux and will capture multiple windows at once (like for example if you’re engraving from a PDF on another monitor).

QuickTime Player’s ok too.

May I respectfully advance exactly the opposite opinion: that most (Mac) applications - including Dorico - really benefit from reducing the intervention for an operation as crucial as (auto-SAVEing); and are better handling it themselves - to avoid contention, permissions clashes, and faults due to incorrect and/or incomplete file locking etc