Dorico crashes after undoing flow split

Dorico crashed after i undid a flow split on a >300 bar piece. The program didn’t stop responding, but i got a constant hourglass/cursor, and it stopped functioning properly. When exiting using the windows task manager, the program suggests recovering the auto save, but whenever i do this, it again stops functioning properly. Trying to save the file makes it stop responding completely, forcing a process termination. I only managed to resolve it (i.e. recover and save the file) after restarting the operating system. Not sure whether anything else got corrupted that i haven’t discovered yet.

Anyone else been running into this issue? I’m probably going to have to undo flow splits in the future, so any way to make this more stable is appreciated.

Regard Fredrik

Welcome to the forum, and sorry to hear you’ve had this problem, Fredrik. Could you please zip up and attach the project that causes this problem, and tell me where you’re trying to split the flow such that it hangs up the program?

Thanks. Btw, you respond faster than my bank does when a credit card is stolen! :slight_smile:

I kept the old file, but havent been able to replicate the issue after restarting the OS unfortunately. I suspect it might have something to do with having multiple flows in the same project. I’ve noticed the program tends to become increasingly slow when handling flows the more of them there are in a project. It might also have been a user error on my part, being too impatient with the software and cancelling in the middle of a process (i’ve noticed that it is incredibly slow when for instance deleting multiple empty flows at the same time: 8 of them wil take at least 15 minutes), which might have done something to the autosave. But this is just me speculating.

The file is too large to upload, but i’ve put it in the link below (it expires in a few days). The flow split was at bar 44. Again, I haven’t managed to replicate the issue.

https://uio-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/fredrhel_uio_no/EX5vZj1AW0tMvbE8Gd7CTTIBbmKX1ReylGUnYAFJdJ7stQ?e=5Maik2

Regards
Fredrik

In large file containing many flows and many instruments, it is best to deal with flow manipulation such as swapping and deleting with a part layout, especially one with less music in it. Open a tab with a part layout, close all other tabs, save and close the project, reopen, and you should those operations are considerably quicker. Same goes with adding or removing instruments and players.

I’m working on a 97 flows project for chamber orchestra and since each flow has slightly different instrumentation, I have created a “focus flow” containing about twelve flows at a time. Those operations become much snappier. I just keep the engrave stuff for later. It’s an old trick, but it works great. 15 minutes to delete 8 flows seems like a lot though, I suspect your machine is dual core only. The more cores the better!

To a point, yes. Four seems to be ideal. I don’t recall getting the impression that six or eight made much of a difference.

You may be right since those with 12 don’t seem to notice a huge difference from 8. My laptop is 2 and my desktop 8. Big difference there, but I’ve never tried 4.

That’s a nice workaround! I’ll try that the next time I’m messing with flows.

My rig is an 8 core Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ram with a dedicated usb interface (m-track 2x2) for Dorico, so if it is a hardware problem, then i feel it would be more likely to be related to bad optimization (or configuration; apart from the sound card, I’ve pretty much gone plug-and-play).