Dorico crashes during startup

I’ve loaded a xml file into Dorico , made a few edits (changed a voice) and Dorico crashed. Now Dorico doesn’t start anymore. Each time, when I try to start the app, Dorico shows the logo and then crashes. What’s going on here? Here is the file , which Dorico created.
IMSLP24558-PMLP04931-Mendelssohn_Violin_Concerto_Op64.dorico (3.9 MB)

Are you on Win or Mac?Have you tried killing the VSTAudioEngine process via Taskmanager resp. Activity Monitor before starting Dorico?

Ah, sorry, just realized now that you are on iPad. I don’t have any expertise on that end…

Yes, I’m on the IPad. Can anyone ( of the devs) try to reproduce this issue? That means to load the attached file , make some edits, close the score and see, if Dorico crashes and will not start anymore. The score has certainly a lot of strange stuff, because it’s a scanned and recognized pdf score.
But I really wonder, if a score can crash Dorico and kills the whole app , so that it has to be reinstalled.

I’m on a Mac, so the comparison won’t be 100% applicable.

The edits I made were:
Select All (everything!),
Move selection up by a few semitones,
Add staccato and accent,
Add a 3-stroke tremolo.

Each edit took a few seconds to take effect - I found out why when I discovered that the document is over 100 pages long.

I then saved the file with a different name, quit Dorico and was able to re-open the file with no problems.

One thing I noticed, which probably has no effect on the problem you are experiencing, is that all the voices came through labelled Part 1, Part 2, etc., and had a piano sound.

Thanks for your investigation, but it must be an issue, which is affecting especially the IPad and it’s file system. I guess that this file isn’t loadable anymore, but Dorico tries to do it and therefore it crashes at the start.

Have you tried re-starting the iPad?

Yes, but that didn’t help. Dorico is still crashing at the start.

To resolve the crash on start-up when Dorico is trying to reload the project, you’ll need to remove Dorico from your iPad and reinstall it to clear its settings. (Make sure to back up any projects you want to preserve from the Dorico folder in On My iPad before you do so.)

It looks to me like Dorico is crashing because it’s exceeding the memory limit imposed upon it by iPadOS. Please find the related crash logs and share them here to the forum so I can be 100% sure. You can find them by going to Settings > Privacy > Analytics. Look for .ips files whose names start with Dorico and with today’s date in the filename.

1 Like

Here are 2 IPS files of today and yesterday.
Dorico-2022-12-16-202532.ips (119.7 KB)
Dorico-2022-12-17-095516.ips (121.3 KB)

Thanks: as I suspected, the OS is indeed killing Dorico – though it appears to be because it’s taking too long to respond, rather than because it’s running out of memory. I will check this with a colleague and see what he thinks.

Thanks for the investigation. Can you and your devs also think about the issue, that there seems to be no protection in Dorico (for Ipad) that a score in combination with the OS can obviously kill completely the app?

The trouble with this is that if the operating system decides to kill our process because it thinks it’s unresponsive or exceeding the memory limit, it doesn’t think it can tell us anything about it: it just kills it, and we’re left trying to pick up the pieces the next time you start the process.

Can you confirm what specific model of iPad you’re using?

I’m using a 9.7 IPad with 32GB, OS 14.8. But I think it’s not only the OS, which causes this issue. IMO Dorico is trying to do something during the startprocedure and, if this is not working or takes too much time (or storage), the OS is killing the process. What is Dorico doing during the start process? And why is it doing it? IMO it’s in principle the same issue, which kills the app, if a file is not found. That’s an issue, about I’ve written in another thread (“Dorico for IPad big problem”).
I have never seen similar issues with other apps like these, which happen with Dorico. So,I think that it’s specific for Dorico.
BTW : Have you tried to load the attached Dorico file (above) in your IPad and is it crashing there too?

@wibem1, I’d like you to try out an updated build of Dorico for iPad that should fix the problem where the operating system shuts down Dorico if the project takes too long to load when the app is starting up. Please send me a private message including the email address you use as your Apple ID, and I’ll send you a TestFlight invitation that will allow you to download the updated build.

Dorico for IPad crashes and crashes. There is a big issue with Dorico for Ipad v2.5.
Again and again it crashes at the start and can’t be started anymore, but must be reinstalled. In the meantime I have reinstalled the app five or six times due to this issue. It’s very annoying. When will this be fixed? I’ve posted it some weeks before , but until now there is no solution.

Dorico for IPad crashes and crashes. There is a big issue with Dorico for Ipad v2.5.
Again and again it crashes at the start and can’t be started anymore, but must be reinstalled. In the meantime I have reinstalled the app five or six times due to this issue. It’s very annoying. When will this be fixed? I’ve posted it some weeks before , but until now there is no solution.

Perhaps you could post a file that crashes on your iPad and give any information about what you might be doing in the program when it does crash.

Otherwise we are just guessing what is malfunctioning.

It’s no special file, which makes Dorico crash and it’s nothing at all, what I’m doing. I just start the app and it crashes. As far as I know, it has something to do with the cooperation of Dorico and the IPadOS file system. They are not working properly together.

@wibem1, I’ve taken the liberty of moving the posts from your new, identical thread into this existing one. You attempted to send me your Apple ID via a private message earlier today, but you didn’t manage to actually include your email address. Please try again.

I understand you’re frustrated, but I don’t think it’s helpful for you to open a new thread with the same complaint as an existing one that was active as recently as two days ago.