Dorico & Cubase concurrent usage

Guys, I need to work in cubase and dorico at the same time (meaning that I need to go back and forth to each one!). I open Cubase works perfectly on 48.000 kHz. I choose the option to release the driver when on background… I move then to Dorico, also working on 48.000 kHz and everything is fine… But when I’m going back to Cubase the project all of a sudden is changing to 44.000 kHz and I can’t hear a thing… Why is this happening and what should I do to work on both apps…? Thank you in advance!

Michael Tiko

Welcome to the forum, Michael. Are you on Windows or Mac? If you’re on Mac, it should be sufficient to make sure that the sample rate in Edit > Device Setup in Dorico and the corresponding dialog in Cubase are set the same.

On Windows, things are a bit trickier, unless you have a dedicated ASIO device, such as an external audio interface, with specific multi-client support. If you don’t have such a device, you need to make sure that Cubase and Dorico are set to different audio devices if you want to run them at the same time.

1 Like

@dspreadbury - So, if I understand correctly, if I want to run them concurrently (moving back and forth between them) and I do not need audio in Dorico 4 but do need it in Cubase Pro 11 I can set the audio device in Cubase to my external audio interface and the audio device in Dorico to Windows audio (or another driver other than my external interface)?

EDIT and UPDATE: Running both Dorico 4 and Cubase Pro 11 as admin - I was able to open both at the same time with both using my external audio interface. If this continues to work it will help me immensely! Thanks.

@reberclark , in that case congratulations, because then the driver of your audio interface is multi-client capable; there are not many vendors who can master this.

1 Like

@Ulf - I am using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd generation external interface. It’s working so far, I hope it will last!

@Ulf - Aha! Well, I’ve hit a bit of a snag but not a deal breaker - I seem to be stuck with the audio for whatever program is opened first - except for playback. For example, if I open Dorico 4 first only its sounds are available for recording but Cubase 11 playback is unaffected. If I open Cubase first then things are vice-versa. I will continue to play with it.