Dorico default velocity

I use Dorico largely to notate piano solos that I upload to YouTube. I do use a plugin for the piano sound. Before I downloaded the upgrade for Dorico 5.1 all was well. The balance between right hand and left hand of the piano was good and I only needed to make minor adjustments. Since the upgrade I find the left hand of the piano is about a third of the velocity of the right hand or less and is often inaudible. This means I have to adjust the velocity of virtually every note and the workload involved has increased dramatically.
I wondered if this was anything to do with the new playback template Iconica or if I’ve inadvertently changed something without realising. I wish I could I could get it back to how it was. As I say I largely just record piano - sometimes add some bass and drums but nothing complicated. My knowledge of Dorico isn’t great so just hoping someone can help?

I think this is what you are facing, and there is a way to turn it off.

1 Like

I can’t thank you enough Derrek. Thanks for your help you were exactly right. I thought it was something to do with the humanization area. It’s not that I don’t want humanization, I desperately do, but the difference in volume between the left and right hands of the piano were way too much. Now I know I can go back to my safe place I will experiment with the polyphonic voice balancing to see if I can get it to do something useful for me.
Thanks again.
Martycli

1 Like