Dorico elements 3.5 - changing note values in groups

Is there any quick way to change a group consisting of a quaver and two semi-quavers into a quaver triplet, without affecting any other notes in the bar?

You can temporarily engage Insert mode, change the two semiquavers to quavers (which will push the music along by a quaver), disengage Insert mode again, then select the now three quavers, type ; to open the tuplets popover, type 3:2 into the popover (if it’s not filled in already, which it should be), and hit Return to confirm.

Forgive me, Daniel, but I think that is wrong. Insert mode needs to stay engaged until after the tuplet is formed (else the following notes don’t get returned to their original positions).

My steps are: Engage Insert Mode (I). Select all 3 notes. Convert to quavers (5). Convert to tuplet(;3 enter). Disengage Insert Mode(I)

1 Like

Thanks very much both for that. However, I have multiple instances of this to correct in an imported score - is there any way of automating this to reduce from say six keystrokes to just one? A macro facility?

Ed, you will have to proof read the score anyway. Under these circumstances the keystrokes will probably not weigh too much.
compare this with programming a macro…

If you upgrade to Pro there is a Scripting capability.

Thanks for this. How difficult can it be to program a macro? However, can you please point me to how it’s done?

@Ed_Addis: further to Daniel explanations and my suggestion:
Engage Insert Mode with the keystroke I.
Then do all your rhythmical corrections,
at the end disengage Insert Mode.
This way it is definitely less than 6 keystrokes per instance - plus you don’t have to upgrade to the Pro version - and plus, you have done your proof reading at the same time.

OK thanks - sadly I also have to break some ties first and remake later, or other notes will change also. I gather that I’d have to upgrade to get access to macros facility. Some bars are such a mess that the sequence doesn’t work anyway. I guess I’ll just have to suck it up and edit manually. Many thanks to all who have helped.

just another remark: by definition a tied note is also just one note, so you will not need to break ties first. That’s an unnecessary step.
As you are trying to be efficient, you can leave that step out.

If I don’t break the tie it converts both notes, whereas I only want to convert one of them!

You don’t need to break the tie - but the first number you type after the O has to be a smaller value, before you enter the final value.
Example 1: a half note, displayed as two tied quarter notes: Select, press O, then type 6 (for a quarter note), then a 7 (to change the resulting quarter note into a half note).
Example 2: a quarter note, displayed as two tied eight notes: Select, press O, then type 5 (for an eighth note), then a 6 (to change the resulting eight note into a quarter note).

OK, I’ll have a look at this - thanks.

I don’t think there’s necessarily a right or wrong way to do this. Experiment and choose whatever suits your workflow.

Personally I always Untie-Force-New Duration (but that just suits my brain)

Hi Janus, your method works too of course. Technically it will change the one note to two notes intermediately, and then change the first of the two notes to the desired value - whereas with the other suggested method it will stay one note all the time.
This does seem like nitpicking, but it is good to understand the logic of it. At the end it is the result that matters.

None of this is exactly intuitive is it?

Once you get round the way Dorico “thinks”, it is intuitive. A tied note means, it is still one note, one “sound event”.
This one note gets displayed in a way that depends on the time signature and it’s place in a bar.
I am sure the experts can explain it better than me…

Thanks, but I fully understand the logic.

Janus, yes, sorry.
There is a possible case to have a redundant note. If one would like to change the note to a shorter value - let us say to a sixteenth note - if one starts by splitting (U) the (tied half-) note, then changing the value to a sixteenth note (4), one would end up with this sixteenth note- plus an orphan quarter note. This does not happen by typing (O) and then (4).
This seems really like nitpicking (and I feel embarrassed to give it so much space here) but it helps to distinguish Dorico from programs like Sibelius and others.
Sorry again, of course I didn’t mean you …(the logic of it)