Dorico Elements 3.5: What is 'Main' in mixer?

I find that my instrument setup is showing up in the mixer with one of the instruments labelled ‘HSSE Main’, whereas the others just have numbers eg ‘HSSE 2’. When I mute the Main one, it mutes all of them, and I can’t mute individual instruments. This is not what I need. Can anyone please explain what’s going on there, and how I can change it so each instrument can be controlled separately in the mixer? Many thanks.

Ed

Perhaps you could tell us what VST(s) you are using. NotePerformer, for example, has its own mixer that feeds into one channel of the Dorico mixer.

Main is your combined output. Not a surprise not to hear anything after muting that.

It’s Halion Sonic SE3.

Can you send us a snippet of your Dorico file , enough so we can see your instrument choice and playback setup? Just a couple of measures would do.

Hi @Ed_Addis , I think your problem is the output routing in HSSE. All the sounds are routed to the main output of HSSE rather than the individual outs. Please open the HSSE editor window and go to the Mix tab and check the output routing on the right side. Here an example of how it should look like:

Hi Ulf!

Thanks for picking up this one. I’m sure you’re right, but I don’t know where to find this editor window - would appreciate some guidance, please?

Regards

Ed

Hi @Ed_Addis , go to Play Mode and press the e-icon as shown below

Hi Ulf

I don’t have that screen in Play mode. I have this:

As you can see, there’s no ‘e’ icon in that location, but there is one in the VST panel on the right. However, clicking that one doesn’t seem to do anything.

Regards

Ed

Ah, you have an older Dorico version. Minimize Dorico then and see if the HALion window is behind there.

I have the Halion window, but can’t see where to edit the output channels:

Thanks

Ed

See my first screenshot. Click there where I circled in red the Mix tab.

OK - got it thanks. Sorry to be so slow!

No worries :slight_smile:

Hi Ulf

I made the changes you suggested in the Mix panel of the Halion window, but sigh I’m unable to test it as now I’m back to one of the previous errors! When I click the Play button on the Transport panel, it lights up green and changes to a stop button, so all is well there - but that’s all that happens. No green playhead and no sound. For what it’s worth, I’m getting sound out of YoutTube, which I’ve now shut down, and I’ve just restarted my PC. Don’t really seem to be able to make any progress …

Thanks once again for your time - you must be dreading hearing from me!

Ed

No worries, we will get you there. Please choose in Dorico from the menu Help > Create Diagnostics Report and post the corresponding zip file here. Then I will give further advice.

Thanks Ulf - here’s the diagnostic report.

Ed

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (385 KB)

Hi Ed, strange because the log data suggests that everything is fine and that sound should come out.
How about if you press Play and then open the Dorico mixer window (F3), is there no indication of level metering in there, especially on the master fader on the right?
And could you please post a screenshot of HALion Sonic SE with the Mix tab open? Thanks

Hi Ulf

A new surprise every day with this! No, there are no levels showing in the Mixer at all, not even the far right channel, and no sound, but today I have a moving green playhead, which I suppose is an improvement. Here’s the HSSE Mix panel:

Also I’ve noted that the keyboard in the HSSE window doesn’t produce any sound either.

Regards

Ed

That is all pretty weird…
Please check on Windows side the properties of your speakers. In this thread I explained how to get to the additional properties and the Advanced tab. If you go there, what is shown on the Advanced tab as a default sample rate? Please also make sure that the sample rate on Dorico side under Edit > Device Setup is actually set to the same value.
If that does not help, we should consider having a remote screen sharing session, if that is okay with you.

The default sample rate is 24bit, 48000 Hz, and the Test button works OK.

In Dorico, the sample rate is also set to 48000 - there is no other value in the drop-down.

Inline image

This morning, I still have a moving playhead, but no sound.

Ed