Dorico - encountered bugs

Hello team,

here are some bugs I encountered on my iMac (late 2013, 2.9GHz Intel Core I5, 16GB RAM) running macOS Sierra while playing around with Dorico for an hour or two.

• No playback after starting Dorico (worked when the score was last opened).
  • CMD+W not working to close the window. What the…?
  • No sounds when switching VST instrument (worked after playing around with mute and solo in the mixer)
  • Mixer occasionally caused Dorico to freeze or crash (can’t reproduce it though)
  • Mixer seems generally bugged too. Switching mutes/solo on and off doesn’t always bring the result you’d expect. Sometimes there’s just no sound at all when you mute or solo one of several channels, sometimes it’s working fine. Mostly … it doesn’t. At least for me
  • User interface reacts very (!) slow to inputs
  • Entering lyrics in a very small score works fine, in a “larger” score (like 6-8 pages) it’s very very laggy, so inputting lyrics need to be done rather slowly to not mess up things
  • Changing the default click-drag behaviour in the preferences only works after a restart of Dorico.
  • Sometimes Dorico just crashed for obviously no reason
  • While entering notes (especially at the end of a line) or doing undo/redo, the score jumps to the top of the page, making it even harder to find the area you were inputting notes
  • Why the heck is redo keycommand in Dorico CMD+Y? The standard Mac command for redo is Shift+CMD+Z. You got that right with Cubase :wink:

Probably more missing features than bugs:

• Playhead indicator is not following on playback nor does the page scroll along
  • Page not scrolling either when inputting notes so I need to scroll down manually
  • Marquee select only works on the visible page right now
  • No sounds when entering or selecting notes (yet)
  • No articulations or dynamics being played back either, no is Dorico playing back repeats and such things.

That’s all I found while playing around with it for a few hours. Looking forward to the first update to see these and probably some more things adressed and added :wink:

Other than that, well done. Dorico feels great and looks amazing.

• No playback after starting Dorico (worked when the score was last opened).
  • No sounds when switching VST instrument (worked after playing around with mute and solo in the mixer)

I suggest you use Play > Load Sounds for Unassigned Instruments to make Dorico reload the sounds with HALion. When using another VSTi, Dorico won’t route any sounds at all automatically and you have to handle that yourself.

• CMD+W not working to close the window. What the…?

Command-W is the shortcut for closing tabs, not windows; Command-Shift-W closes the window.

• User interface reacts very (!) slow to inputs
  • Entering lyrics in a very small score works fine, in a “larger” score (like 6-8 pages) it’s very very laggy, so inputting lyrics need to be done rather slowly to not mess up things

Yes, you will already have seen other threads concerning these issues.

• Changing the default click-drag behaviour in the preferences only works after a restart of Dorico.

No, it only affects newly-created windows.

• Sometimes Dorico just crashed for obviously no reason

You should find the crash logs generated and written to ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ and send them to us.

• While entering notes (especially at the end of a line) or doing undo/redo, the score jumps to the top of the page, making it even harder to find the area you were inputting notes

I’m unable to reproduce this problem. Perhaps you could take a little video of the problem in action.

• Why the heck is redo keycommand in Dorico CMD+Y? The standard Mac command for redo is Shift+CMD+Z. You got that right with Cubase > :wink:

You can of course redefine this in Key Commands as you wish.

Probably more missing features than bugs:

• Playhead indicator is not following on playback nor does the page scroll along
  • Page not scrolling either when inputting notes so I need to scroll down manually
  • Marquee select only works on the visible page right now
  • No sounds when entering or selecting notes (yet)
  • No articulations or dynamics being played back either, no is Dorico playing back repeats and such things.

Dorico does play dynamics and tempos, but otherwise your list here is indeed of things that are not yet implemented.

Whilst that might be the way Dorico does it, it’s not the usual behaviour for Mac apps (not even Cubase). Why does Dorico need to do it differently? Is there a specific reason to it?

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to answer. It’s very much appreciated since I didn’t have the time to read through all of the threads on the Dorico Subforum and since I’m sure you’ve answered to similar bug lists a thousand times already.

Kudos,
Darian

I tested it with Finder, Safari and other tab-based mac application. Dorico indeed uses the default behavior Apple suggests.
BUT there is one exception:
When there is only one tab left, cmd+W closes that last tab and with it the window. So Dorico should probably do that too?

I don’t know about the usual, but this is indeed the behavior in Safari. Only difference is that when only one tab is open, the window closes when hitting Command-W.

It’s actually the default behaviour of Sibelius.

True. Seems like Safari is the only App where it works with shift-cmd-w though (tried a lot of other apps on my iMac out of curiosity).

I see. Old habits die hard I guess :smiley: