Dorico equivalents of Finale "smart shapes"?

So long as you do not get hacked in the meantime. That would be far more work.

I routinely clone my OS drive, and doubly backup my data. If anything corrupts my computer, all I have to do is swap the internal HD with the cloned external one. Were it that easy to move from 7 to 10 I’d do it immediately.

Fwiw, Dorico 3.5.12 runs fine on Windows 7… As well as 8.1…

That’s great news, fratveno! So now the question is: how to actually download it to my system?

fratveno, is it possible that Dorico/Steinberg changed the system requirements since you installed yours (if, in fact, that’s how you learned that Dorico 3.5.12 runs on Windows 7)?

fratveno, I found a few Dorico forum entries (including one of yours) from 2016 (Dorico under Windows 7 (64)), in which Daniel stated that Dorico would run under Windows 7 and 8, even tho’ it wasn’t officially supported in those systems.

Of course, he was talking about much earlier Dorico version(s), but the reason why I bring this up is that he (or Paul Walmsley) cited a particular component of Win10 that might not have been in Win7: net framework 4.6.2., and an MS webpage that contained that file for free download was also given.

I just checked, and my system does have that version of net framework, yet Steinberg’s Download Manager still froze, every time I tried to download the trial 3.7.5. (Not only that, my country’s Steinberg support refuses to help find a solution, because Steinberg lists Windows 10 as a system requirement.)

Any ideas on how I might be able to obtain and install that trial version on my Windows 7 machine?

Many thanks . . .

See https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/downloads/dorico_3.5.html?utm_term=SHM&utm_source=IAP&utm_medium=Dorico&utm_content=Search%20Update for direct downloads.

While Dorico 3.5 might indeed run on Windows 7, you can’t expect the Steinberg Download Assistant (which is an entirely separate program, built on different frameworks) to run on Windows 7.

I’ve been using Dorico on Win 7 since day 1, back in oct 2016, updating along the way. True, have not installed full package of later versions from scratch, but have fewer problems than most if the forum is anything to go by…

The download assistant also updates and runs without problems. W7 has to be the latest service pack I think…

That said, each new number installs as a separate program, e.g. Dorico 1, 2, 3, 3.5. You may not have reinstalled the sounds at any point along the way, but you will have installed each program with the full installer.

I’ve always used the update installer, not the full one. Whatever the end result…

Hi, pianoleo;

Two questions re. the Dorico 3.5 Updates and Downloads / Steinberg link you kindly posted:

• Is a download automatically a “trial version”?

• Is the suggestion that, since the Steinberg Download Assistant isn’t working, I see if I can download it directly?

The direct download installer is identical to the installer provided through the Steinberg Download Assistant. Neither is “automatically” a trial. Both will prompt you for an activation code, which may be for a permanent (e.g. paid) license or for a time-limited (e.g. trial) license.

Thanks, pianoleo! I’ll give it a try. . .
Not sure what will happen with the activation code, because when I ran the Steinberg Download Assistant (SDA) a second time, it said something to the effect that I’d already used that code, and therefore couldn’t use it again. Not sure what to do if that occurs again. . .

Whichever installer you use, it will install a program called eLicenser Control Center, which holds your license(s). I don’t know which installation steps you’ve already attempted, and whether some of them may have worked correctly. It’s possible that your trial license is already correctly stored within eLicenser Control Center, and if so Dorico will run for 30 days once you’ve successfully installed it.

If not, report back here and somebody from the development team will likely help you out with another trial license.

thanks, pianoleo!
I’ll also check to see if there’s anything new listed on my eLicense or not.

Sorry, but this simply isn’t possible. Dorico 3.0, for instance, did not have an “update” installer, only a full installer, because there was no previous version of Dorico 3 to update. Same goes for Dorico 3.5.0, Dorico 2.0 etc.

If at any point an “Updater” was released for any of these, it would have been exactly the same binary as the “Full” installer.

Yes, the trial license is already stored in my eLicenser. Not sure why the SDA wouldn’t let me try it a second time. However, I’m going to try to download the Dorico Pro application installer directly from the webpage you gave.

Thanks.

Yes, sorry, I was thinking of the decimal updates… But still never had any problems with Win 7… Whatsoever. (knock wood…)

Ta-dum! The direct download worked – it installed with no problem. I have yet to run it (have a related question first), but I see it installed in Program Files/Dorico 3.5. This definitely says something . . .

Question: Can I download the 3.5 Sounds Installer too, even if using the trial version?

. . . and I guess it still remains to be seen whether the program will find and acknowledge the trial license in my eLicenser.

If this works, a huge thank-you to fratveno (for citing the possibility!) and to pianoleo (for the technical help!). (At the thought of giving up, I began to miss you guys :wink:)

Ta-dum! The direct download worked – it installed with no problem. I have yet to run it (have a related question first), but I see it installed in Program Files/Dorico 3.5. This definitely says something . . .

Question: Can I download the 3.5 Sounds Installer too, even if using the trial version?

. . . and I guess it still remains to be seen whether the program will find and acknowledge the trial license in my eLicenser.

If this works, a huge thank-you to fratveno (for citing the possibility!) and to pianoleo (for the technical help!). (At the thought of giving up, I began to miss you guys :wink:)